Review of The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientst

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientst

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientst" by Alan H McGowan.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Franz Boas made an indelible mark on the field of anthropology with his pioneering work that shattered racism through rigorous scientific study. Boas's contributions extended beyond academia, as he was an advocate for social justice and human rights. Through his actions and advocacy, Boas solidified his legacy as a champion of human rights and a defender of cultural diversity. His advocacy of the Kwakwaka'wakw people stood as a testament to the power of solidarity, empathy, and the unwavering belief that all cultures, no matter how seemingly divergent, are worthy of respect and preservation. Franz Boas was also against war. His principled stance stemmed from a deep-seated belief in the sanctity of human life and a rejection of violence as a means of resolving disputes. This commitment to peace would become a defining characteristic of his life's work.

The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientist by Alan H. McGowan is about the life of Franz Boas, becoming known as "The Father of American Anthropology." Boas is a scientist and a social activist, and I found his life to be inspiring and exemplary. The author gathered all of Boas's works and achievements and shared them here. My biggest takeaway from this book is to always exercise my freedom of speech, no matter my profession. Franz Boas was a champion of scientific integrity, firmly believing in the "purity" of science. In his eyes, any activity that threatened this freedom was to be condemned and thwarted with resolute determination. His crusade extended to the plight of indigenous peoples, whose traditions and ceremonies were under relentless assault by oppressive government policies, such as the Canadian government's ban on the "Potlatch" ceremony.

It is obvious that this book was well-researched, as the endnotes contained materials from where they were obtained. I admire the author's hard work in bringing all these together. The pictures that were added to the book were one of the things I loved about it. It was good to see people or things that were being discussed. There were lots of them, and they were each labeled. I recommend this book to those who like reading books on racism and activism, as Boas's life and work would interest them. There was nothing about The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientist by Alan H. McGowan that I disliked. It was exceptionally well edited, and I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to people who like reading books about racism, activism, and science.

The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientst
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

This review beautifully captures the essence of "The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientist" by Alan H. McGowan, portraying Franz Boas as a remarkable figure who made significant contributions to anthropology and social activism. The reviewer appreciates the thorough research evident in the book, as well as the inclusion of images that enhance the reading experience. Overall, the review effectively highlights the book's focus on racism, activism, and scientific integrity, making it a compelling recommendation for readers interested in these topics.
Orji cyril Kaluokoro
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Orji cyril Kaluokoro »

Franz Boas, known as "The Father of American Anthropology," was a pioneering anthropologist who shattered racism through rigorous scientific study. His contributions extended beyond academia, as he advocated for social justice and human rights. Boas's advocacy of the Kwakwaka'wakw people demonstrated the power of solidarity, empathy, and the belief that all cultures are worthy of respect and preservation. He was also against war, a principled stance stemming from a deep-seated belief in the sanctity of human life and a rejection of violence as a means of resolving disputes. This commitment to peace would become a defining characteristic of his life's work.

The Political Activism of Anthropologist Franz Boas, Citizen Scientist by Alan H. McGowan is about the life of Franz Boas, becoming known as "The Father of American Anthropology." Boas was a scientist and social activist, and his life was inspiring and exemplary. The author gathered all of Boas's works and achievements and shared them here. The biggest takeaway from this book is to always exercise your freedom of speech, no matter your profession. Boas was a champion of scientific integrity, believing in the "purity" of science. His crusade extended to the plight of indigenous peoples, whose traditions and ceremonies were under relentless assault by oppressive government policies, such as the Canadian government's ban on the "Potlatch" ceremony.

The book is well-researched, with endnotes containing materials from where they were obtained. The book is exceptionally well edited, and I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to those who enjoy reading books about racism, activism, and science.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”