Review of American Challenges in the Obama Era Part 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shiru Elizabeth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Riddle of Alchemy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios

Review of American Challenges in the Obama Era Part 2

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "American Challenges in the Obama Era Part 2" by Larry Ukali Johnson-Redd.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The nonfiction book American Challenges in the Obama Era, Part 2 by Larry Ukali Johnson-Redd provides a detailed study of Obama's second term in office. The book concentrates on several topics that arose during Obama's presidency, including discrimination, human rights, voter suppression, police brutality, white supremacy, and the 500 years of African colonization and slavery in the United States and other countries.

The book starts off with a thorough examination of how and why Obama was elected president twice. It discusses the new majority and their part in the two elections. It also discusses the problems the Obama administration encountered throughout its first term in office, the political gamesmanship that the Republicans engaged in both before and after the elections, and what steps should be taken to show gratitude to the new majority for their confidence votes. The book provides a thorough examination of police brutality, the fatalities brought about by such acts throughout the Obama administration, and the ways in which such occurrences influenced his leadership. The author discusses how a strategic national black consensus might bring African Americans together and lead to socioeconomic advancement for all. The author also urges unity among Mexicans, African-Americans, and other Latinos and Latinas because these groups are frequently used against one another. Are you curious about the members of the "new majority"? What is the Strategic National Black Consensus, and what tactics are required to put it into practice? How can black Americans come together? Learn more by reading this book.

The book has a lot of good aspects. First, the author deftly blends inspirational poetry with informative prose. The masterfully composed spoken-word poetry offers recommendations to the government on matters like equality, freedom, and justice for all citizens of the United States and the world. The poem "Why Do We?" challenges the division among African-Americans, which is why I truly admire it. The book urges Africans to come together because that is the only way they can attain targeted socioeconomic development. The book also enumerates the numerous instances of police violence dating back 500 years, along with the fatalities that followed. It will remind African-Americans and the government of the reasons behind the need to transition from this society of racial discrimination to one that is inclusive and peaceful for everybody. In addition, the author provides his analysis of the 2016 presidential race, explaining why it is imperative to abstain from voting for a Republican or white conservative like Trump in order to guarantee a decline in white supremacy, police brutality, and the associated issues. I wholeheartedly concur with his analysis.

This book has a few drawbacks, despite its many advantages. First of all, I thought a few of the assertions were redundant. I noticed that some passages in the book were repeated without citing the preceding assertion. Even though this was done to communicate his points, the book included numerous grammatical problems, suggesting that it had not been adequately edited. It needs more careful editing because it detracted from both the book's flow and my overall reading experience. For the aforementioned reasons, I would thus give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

I suggest this book to all African-Americans, young and old, political and historical aficionados, as well as those studying African-American studies in schools. I suggest this book to the new majority as well.

American Challenges in the Obama Era Part 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”