Review of Wrestling With Demons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of Wrestling With Demons

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wrestling With Demons" by Curtis L. DeBerg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Hemingway was born in 1899 and died in 1961. During WWI, he was assigned to take over Canteen Number 14 in the American Red Cross's Rolling Canteen Service and was hit by mortar fragments on his right leg. He was eighteen, and that day, an Italian soldier ( Fedele Temperini) died to save him. However, his life is a myth, even though many people, including scholars, believe him to be a hero. But was he really a hero, or was that what he always wanted people to think? This book looks into his real life, one that bore cheating, lies, and con, and how much of a coward he was or was not. You can only find out by getting a copy of Wrestling With Demons: In Search of the Real Ernest Hemingway by Curtis L. DeBerg.

After he was involved in a plane crash and broke some bones, Curtis L. DeBerg realized that it was time to walk in Ernest Hemingway's tracks. The author traveled to different places that Hemingway had been to when he was alive. He sometimes wrote this book as a letter to Hemingway and sometimes as a conversation. I love that this book was well-researched because the author read various biographies and books about Ernest, his wives, families, friends, and colleagues. The book delves into the demons that tormented Hemingway throughout his life, such as his deep-seated sense of rivalry with fellow writers and war heroes. According to the author, Hemingway's hypomanic, bipolar personality amplified the effects of these psychological burdens.

This book is a combination of historical fiction, biography, and memoir. The author explained what he called "Hemingway's demons," which are his parents, remorse, physical pain, anguish, and rivalry. He dove into many aspects of Ernest's personal life, like his relationship with his four wives, his parents, his schooling, his writing career, his involvement in WWI, and his interactions with many other individuals.

I appreciate the pictures of the rooms and places that Hemingway went to. Some other things, like an essay he wrote in high school and a love letter, were also shared. I love how the author personified Ernest, and it was as if Ernest were still alive and making the journey with him. From this book, I saw Ernest's misogynistic nature, his mother's high expectations of him, and her disappointments. I also saw the author's life while growing up and how similar his whole life was to that of Ernest Hemingway.

There were a lot of things that were repeated in the book. The stories are told and retold, and this makes the book repetitive. For instance, Ernest's wives, how Ernest met each of them, and how their marriage progressed and ended were constantly repeated at different places in the book, and they get lengthy explanations at each point they are repeated. As a result of its repetitiveness, I am removing a star from the rating. I recommend this book to those who are familiar with Ernest Hemingway and his works. It will be good to see his life from a different perspective. The book was well edited, and I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

Wrestling With Demons
View: on Bookshelves
Jonathan Okpoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonathan Okpoko »

One of the standout features of "Wrestling With Demons" is its authenticity. The author does not shy away from depicting the raw and often messy aspects of life, allowing readers to connect with the characters on a deeper level. The struggles portrayed in the book feel genuine and are presented with empathy and understanding. it was well edited and I rate the author 3 out if 5 stars.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by grace ruhara »

I applaud for this wonderful masterpiece. The only thing that the author should check up on is the redundancy. I enjoyed reading this review. Thank you.
BasseyAkpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basseyakpan.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by BasseyAkpan »

This is a beautiful book that combines historical fiction with biography and memoir. It also talks about the rooms and places Hemingway went to.
BasseyAkpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basseyakpan.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by BasseyAkpan »

Hemingway was hit by mortar fragments while he worked with the red cross during WWI. While portrayed as a hero, he had other sides in his life including lies, cheating and con which this book has uncovered.
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”