Review of A Beginner's Guide to Meditation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of A Beginner's Guide to Meditation

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Beginner's Guide to Meditation" by Kelly Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

There are conditions that go beyond the physical level and, therefore, can hardly be managed by physical therapies like medications. In this instance, the inner self—call it a soul, essence, or whatever label suits your belief system—needs attention. In her book, A Beginner's Guide to Meditation: For Empaths and Intuitives, Kelly Cole has provided guides on how to connect with and reach the inner self through the medium of meditation to enable it to heal from unresolved conflicts and build an overall layer of well-being and fulfillment.

The guides are really simple to follow. I am impressed with the author's recognition of certain problems readers might face as they start the process, especially in quieting the brain from the noises of daily struggles, and the solutions she provided to get the process started, ranging from listening to binaural beats or Theta Wave music to deep breathing. Readers are encouraged to try all the options and then figure out which one works best for them. Cole's discussion of how she went through this process and the encouragement to stick to the process, promising that things would surely get better along the way, were really helpful to me.

There are enough notes, often illustrated with some incidents in the author's life, to help readers recognize and harness the special abilities they possess, be it the gift of clairaudience or claircognizance. I have read some books about meditation but never got to know about the good and bad energies that exist in that "open space" we venture into. Cole's discussion of these realities and the safety protocols, like performing the circle of light exercise, were my most cherished takeaways from this book. Some people who are unaware of this are struggling with some dark manifestations in their lives. There are links to sources that will help readers practice some exercises. The 4-7-8 guide on breathing exercises was really impactful.

However, there are two observations that I would like the author to look into. First, there is a problem with the numbering of points being discussed in this book, as can be seen in chapter three, where the number "1" is used throughout when listing the strategies (music, silence, etc.) to help the brain "turn off" the noises of daily struggles, and in chapter five. Also, the first few sentences at the beginning of chapter seven were repeated. Because of these, I am removing a star and rating this book four out of five stars. The book was well proofread. I found just three errors in it. I recommend A Beginner's Guide to Meditation: For Empaths and Intuitives to anyone considering starting to meditate or caught up in the process.

A Beginner's Guide to Meditation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anil Baade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-baade.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Anil Baade »

You've explained very well about the book and you have mentioned the content of the book very nicely. I'll definitely start reading this book.
Diala Macak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diala-macak.html
Latest Review: Requiem - Book 2: Exposed by Taveyah LaShay

Post by Diala Macak »

I've been looking for self-help books and I think I'll check this one out now after I've seen this.
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

This book looks to be interesting and useful, I will read it with pleasure. Thanks a lot for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”