Review of Bones In The Alley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Review of Bones In The Alley

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bones In The Alley" by Viterose E Van Huis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Bones In The Alley" by Viterose E Van Huis is a memoir that traces the author's journey from her childhood in Barbados to adulthood. Growing up in Barbados was not easy for her, as her only available parent became increasingly unavailable after taking up a job that kept her away. This left her with minimal love and nurture, forcing her to rely on relatives and manage with the little concern given to her. Throughout the book, she recounts her struggles, the discriminations she faced, and her triumphs.

I appreciate how the author took great care to simplify her writing, making it highly accessible and understandable. This was especially evident in her descriptions of the peculiarities of life in Barbados during her upbringing, providing valuable insights into the cultural landscape of the time. These simplified descriptions also served to highlight the historical context of the book, shedding light on how certain cultural nuances shaped the author's experiences.

Throughout the book, I was deeply moved by the emotional depth of the author's storytelling. Her clear explanations of her struggles, thoughts, and decisions were emotionally captivating, keeping me engaged from start to finish. This was particularly evident when she wrote about her marriage and her experiences of motherhood, recounting some challenges in clear detail. Beyond being a memoir, the book also serves as an educational resource, offering valuable life lessons and insights, particularly in the realm of parenting.

I found no faults with the book; it held my attention effortlessly until the end, and I encountered no errors while reading. This leads me to believe that it was professionally edited. Considering the wealth of positives and the absence of negatives, I wholeheartedly rate the book a perfect 5 out of 5.

I highly recommend "Bones In The Alley" to lovers of heartfelt memoirs. Young parents and individuals navigating life's challenges will find this book both useful and engaging, making it a worthwhile read for anyone seeking inspiration and insight.

Bones In The Alley
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”