Review of Keys to Healthy Communication

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of Keys to Healthy Communication

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Keys to Healthy Communication" by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Around this time four years ago, taking a break from helping my kids navigate schoolwork online, I went to the supermarket. It felt like the apocalypse: a woman was coming out with a box of long-life milk, some people had scarves around their mouths, and the pasta and toilet roll shelves were empty. It was March 2020 and many countries were imposing lockdowns after the World Health Organization had declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic. As it turned out, there was no need for panic buying because the rumours of shortages were unfounded. As the virus spread and mutated, so did the misinformation, that is, unhealthy communication.

The impact of the pandemic is a central theme of Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R. Patton, Rusalyn H. Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily, although the trio of scientific professionals from various disciplines were building on an earlier idea. In the book, they explain how improved communication could support the mental, physical and emotional well-being of individuals and society. Specifically, they examine how human interaction can foster health and the factors that can ensure effective and constructive - that is, healthy - communication. The three "keys" to that - authenticity, empathy, and empowerment - are explored in detail.

I appreciated the wealth of information this book provided. In connection with the "authenticity" key, it featured a step-by-step guide to reality testing a belief. In line with the examples of misinformation during the pandemic, the authors emphasized the importance of scientific evidence. This was complemented by advice about how to verify the accuracy of news, including valuable lists of fact-checkers and trustworthy news sources. I have already looked at some of these and will doubtless use them frequently in the future.

Despite being rich in facts and grounded in academic approaches, this book wasn't dry. The text was interspersed with cartoons and included reflection questions and exercises. I loved how it inspired me to improve interpersonal relationships (and so health) in my family, workplace and society. The authors set out a vision for improving US society overall.

Some might find the focus on the USA limiting, but I believe the ideas and approaches to improving communication could be adapted to other countries. As regards other potential shortcomings, I noticed one or two reflection questions that might have been under the wrong topic, but this was not a severe problem. Unfortunately, in line with site policy I do have to deduct a star from the overall rating because some errors had slipped through the cracks. I found more than ten throughout, so my overall rating is four out of five stars. This book deserves a high rating otherwise because it is enlightening and uplifting as well as educational.

It gave me hope and practical solutions in what has come to be known as the post-truth era. This book is for you if you'd like to hone your critical thinking skills with practical tools for improving your decision-making and interpersonal relationships whether at home or in the workplace.

Keys to Healthy Communication
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose

Post by Amy Luman »

I tend to think that the problem with this kind of miscommunication is the tendency of the general public to believe the worst. It is easier for them to think that bad things are going to happen than to work towards the best outcome. One pat of healthy communication is listening well. Thanks!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Amy Luman wrote: 26 Mar 2024, 13:42 I tend to think that the problem with this kind of miscommunication is the tendency of the general public to believe the worst. It is easier for them to think that bad things are going to happen than to work towards the best outcome. One pat of healthy communication is listening well. Thanks!
I agree - news tends to catastrophize, and people will believe things without seeing whether it really checks out. And yes, listening is so important for understanding correctly as well as building empathy.

Thank you for your kind comment.
Mod
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your well thought-out review. I appreciated your intro of your own personal experience in relation to the pandemic and the bad communication at the time. It is always a good sign in a book when we are advocating that we would have given it more stars if the rules allowed.
Peter Isreal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Peter Isreal »

Miscommunication is a major problem in our society of now adays. So I thing part of effective and healthy communication is to be a good listener and focused person
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Truth Is Beyond Belief! by Jerry Durr

Post by Baggett Yori »

this review offers a detailed perspective on "Keys to Healthy Communication" by Bobby R. Patton, Rusalyn H. Andrews, and Jennifer Page Daily, particularly highlighting its relevance in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic and the subsequent proliferation of misinformation. You appreciate the book's emphasis on improving communication to support mental, physical, and emotional well-being, with a focus on authenticity, empathy, and empowerment as the key components. Thanks for sharing this review of a useful book.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 10:15 Thank you for your well thought-out review. I appreciated your intro of your own personal experience in relation to the pandemic and the bad communication at the time. It is always a good sign in a book when we are advocating that we would have given it more stars if the rules allowed.
Yes, I think the authors achieved everything they set out to do and it was a well prepared book.

Thanks for your comment!
Mod
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by MoeBrown »

I would def love the chance to read this book with one of my loved ones as they have a hard time comminicating and from the review, I believe it may provide both of us with some insight. Great review!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

MoeBrown wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 19:53 I would def love the chance to read this book with one of my loved ones as they have a hard time comminicating and from the review, I believe it may provide both of us with some insight. Great review!
There are some good parts about how to resolve conflict by discovering what both parties need rather than locking into solutions or win-lose arguments. This book does have useful tools for that.

Thank you for your kind comment.
Mod

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”