Review of Mammoths, Monsters and Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shiru Elizabeth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: From Flames to Valor by Jose L Berrios

Review of Mammoths, Monsters and Man

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mammoths, Monsters and Man" by Donald Brown.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donald Brown's work of fiction, Mammoths, Monsters and Man, tells the tale of life on Earth before history began. This book covered the evolution of man 60 million years ago, including the stages involved and the reasons behind the demise of each animal. This is the book for you if you want to learn about fictional characters while passing the time.

More than anything else we've seen, this book discusses climate change and the harm it has caused. It also discusses how asteroid strikes caused smaller species to outlive larger ones and how the powerful dinosaurs all perished. It describes the state of the food chain at this point in time prior to human advancement and shows that man didn't even rank in the top five.

To be honest, this novel takes the reader by surprise. My expectations were not met by the breadth of fascinating knowledge, which was a welcome surprise. The images of the many creatures are superb in quality, from the first to the last page. And I think the idea and execution of writing everything in rhyme are both amazing. Because it wasn't too long and included illustrations that complemented the author's description of the creatures, which I really liked, it was a great book to read to pass the time. I also learned a few things about the various dinosaurs by reading this book, which was a really pleasant and engaging way to learn.

There was nothing about this book that I didn't like, other than the fact that I thought it was meant for young adults. In my opinion, several of the words in the book will be too complex for younger readers to understand because they aren't yet at that level in their vocabulary.

I give this book five out of five stars since it was a really good and insightful read. Simple, uncomplicated, and devoid of any interruptions. While reading this, I also didn't detect any obvious mistakes. Bravo to the editors.

Mammoths, Monsters and Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”