Review of A Hayes River Odyssey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clauson Justin
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clauson-justin.html
Latest Review: The Making, the Rise, and the Future of the Speakingman-fourth edition by Dan M Mrejeru

Review of A Hayes River Odyssey

Post by Clauson Justin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Hayes River Odyssey" by John Kudlas.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Hayes River Odyssey is a non-fictional book written by John Kudlas. The book recounts the exhilarating journey of John and his group of adventurers as they navigate the challenging waters of the Hayes River in Manitoba, Canada, to reach Hudson Bay. 

The book begins with a celebration of their achievement and the camaraderie among the diverse members, each contributing unique skills and personalities to the group. As preparations for the expedition unfold, the team faces logistical challenges and undertakes a shakedown cruise to test their abilities and equipment. With meticulous planning and organization, they embark on their daring journey, propelled by a shared sense of adventure and determination. Throughout their expedition, the adventurers encounter a series of trials and triumphs, navigating treacherous rapids, enduring harsh weather conditions, and reveling in the beauty of the untouched wilderness. Along the way, they form deep bonds with each other and gain insights into themselves and the natural world. Come along on this journey and delve into the beauty, history, and significance of the Hayes River. This book celebrates the beauty of nature and the resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity.

There are a lot of things I loved about this book, chief among them being the information and details given in the book. The ninth chapter of the book consists of a detailed journal of each day of the journey. The chapter left me intrigued with specific questions about the journey, like how exactly did they attach a sail to the three canoes used? How would you identify a northern pike, a walleye, or a brook trout? Or how does one traverse a rapid? I was delighted to find these questions addressed in detail in the following chapter. I also appreciated the strength of character of the voyagers in the face of adversity, as well as their attention to safety throughout their journey. The book certainly sparked an interest in and appreciation for the Canadian wilderness. I also liked the simple language used and the detail given with the vehicles and equipment used.

I did not have any negative issues with the book. It was certainly well written and did a good job of encouraging the reader to "find your odyssey!".

I found no errors in this book. It was professionally edited. I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for all the reasons already stated above. I recommend it to lovers of non-fictional adventures and books on outdoor survival.

A Hayes River Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Thanks for this insightful review of "A Hayes River Odyssey"! The self-discovery aspects you mentioned really resonate with me. Now I'm even more excited to delve into Kudlas's account of their journey down the Hayes River. John Kudlas even encourage readers to say their own odyssey!
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I love adventures like this, going to the Hayes river is so much fun, it motivates one to go for what they want to.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”