Review of Why Am I Sick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Review of Why Am I Sick

Post by John Owen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Am I Sick" by Ian Donaldson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Ian Donaldson's "Why Am I Sick?", the author begins by sharing his personal health challenges, notably his experiences with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, which traditional medical approaches failed to address satisfactorily. Because of this experience, his personal narrative evolves into a broader critique of the healthcare system, which, according to Donaldson, focuses too narrowly on symptom management with pharmaceuticals, neglecting the underlying causes of diseases.

The core of the book delves into the profound impact of lifestyle factors—diet, exercise, stress management, and environmental toxins—on one's health. Donaldson argues that modern ailments, including obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and mental health disorders, are often the result of poor diet choices, sedentary lifestyles, unchecked stress, and exposure to environmental toxins. He advocates for a better approach to health, emphasizing the importance of a nutrient-rich diet, regular moderate exercise, stress reduction techniques, and minimizing toxin exposure as fundamental to preventing and managing diseases. There's a ton of information, based on the author's personal experiences and research, about general health and wellness to explore, so grab your copy.

One of the things that I find most compelling about the book is its comprehensive health overview. It offers a thorough exploration of how lifestyle, diet, and environmental factors contribute to health and disease, providing a comprehensive view that goes beyond conventional medical wisdom. Even though he critiques conventional medicine, challenging the traditional healthcare system's focus on symptom management rather than addressing underlying causes, I think he is, to an extent, encouraging readers to think critically about their healthcare, which everyone should.

Another thing I appreciate about the book is that it gives practical and actionable advice about how best to approach our health and wellness. For example, it has reasonable and practical recommendations for improving health through natural means, including dietary changes, lifestyle adjustments, and natural remedies, making it an actionable tool. It gives us the knowledge and tools needed to take control of our health and make informed decisions about proactive health management.

I don't have any major criticism except for the fact that the book may come out as too critical of conventional medical practices. I think it all boils down to finding what works best for ourselves in the end. The book has a lot of information and tips about health that are worthwhile, and I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I find no reason to give a lower score. The editing was exceptionally well done, too.

Why Am I Sick
View: on Bookshelves
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Thanks for your honest review of Why Am I Sick? by Ian Donaldson. It The title itself is intriguing, leaving me curious about the character's journey to diagnosis. Especially interested in how Donaldson explores the health care system and its attitude to health care giving.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

The health care system gave a lot of stories entailing it, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is a disease I really do not know about, but I appreciate your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”