Review of It's Not All About You! The Secret Joy of Practical Humility

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Why Are We Here? by Naveed Bari

Review of It's Not All About You! The Secret Joy of Practical Humility

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It's Not All About You! The Secret Joy of Practical Humility" by Daniel Aaron Cohen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Daniel Aaron Cohen, the author of this book, realized the importance of humility after living a self-centered and conceited life. That resulted in some rather humiliating outcomes. “It's Not All About You!: The Secret Joy of Practical Humility" shows readers 70 different ways to live a humble life and how doing so can improve a person's overall well-being.

I especially liked how the author described himself as someone who, like many others, is in need of this book. He told stories about how egocentric he is and how it has caused him to be humble on occasion. He also provided other interesting analogies that aided comprehension. I enjoyed those stories because they were relatable while also demonstrating his sense of humor. This drew my attention and made the book's suggestions more memorable.

This book goes on to explain how people can be guilty of being proud even when they believe they are not. I liked the way he explained how even low self-esteem could be a sign of pride because of constant self-awareness, which can be linked to selfishness and narcissism. Following his train of thought in this manner demonstrates the level of attention that was paid to the creation of this work. I also commend the amount of research that went into the making of this book. I saw references from a variety of sources, including the Dalai Lama, Alcoholics Anonymous, famous scientists, and even the Bible. The extensive amount of information supporting a single point lends credibility to his arguments.

When it comes to suggestions, this book may come across as too strong at times. I did not like how some of the suggestions seemed too biased. For example, while I understand how driving a luxury car and wearing expensive clothing can demonstrate pride, the book does not address the fact that this cannot be applied to every situation. Overlooking that aspect did not sit right with me. I also discovered some errors, mostly due to misspelled words. These factors cause me to deduct a star from the book's rating, giving it a 4 out of 5.

“It's Not All About You!: The Secret Joy of Practical Humility" is a fantastic book that could be the first step on your humility journey. It is a book that can be read again to refresh one's memory about the topics that interest them. I believe that those who want to live a more content life would benefit from this book.

It's Not All About You! The Secret Joy of Practical Humility
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 85%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Thanks for your interesting review, it's good to know that the author did a very intensive research job, before writing the book, this will make readers more interested in his book.
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Temple Of Truth And Lies by James Duvall

Post by Baggett Yori »

Your review offers valuable insights into "It's Not All About You!: The Secret Joy of Practical Humility" by Daniel Aaron Cohen. The author's personal journey toward humility and the relatable anecdotes shared in the book seem like compelling elements that draw readers in.
Baggett Yori
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baggett-yori.html
Latest Review: The Temple Of Truth And Lies by James Duvall

Post by Baggett Yori »

Your review offers a comprehensive overview of "It's Not All About You!: The Secret Joy of Practical Humility" by Daniel Aaron Cohen. The author's personal journey toward humility and the relatable anecdotes shared in the book seem like compelling elements that draw readers in.
Amos Cyprian Kipchumba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amos-cyprian-kipchumba.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Amos Cyprian Kipchumba »

Thank you for the nice review. Humility is paramount in everything we do. This book will help readers know the importance of being humble in life.
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

I love this subject as so many talk about it, but very few understand it. I am looking forward to reading the author's thoughts. Well done on your great review!
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I've been trying so hard to see the world in an eye lens that isn't selfish or for jy interest, I have wanted to know the depth of empathy towards people.
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Hey there! It seems like "It's Not All About You!: The Secret Joy of Practical Humility" by Daniel Aaron Cohen is a pretty solid read. The reviewer appreciated the author's relatable stories and sense of humor, making the book engaging and memorable. They also praised the extensive research and diverse references that added credibility to the arguments. However, they did mention that some suggestions may come across as biased and there were a few spelling errors. Overall, it received a 4 out of 5 rating. If you're looking to embrace humility and improve your well-being, this book might be a good choice! Unpredictable twists, kept me on edge.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”