Review of Prejudice, Racism, and Tribalism

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The one that kills you by Rick Rothermel

Review of Prejudice, Racism, and Tribalism

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prejudice, Racism, and Tribalism" by ANTHONY M. D'AGOSTINO, MD.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In his book Prejudice, Racism and Tribalism: A Primer for White People, Anthony M. D'Agostino, MD, insightfully delves into three sensitive topics: racism, tribalism, and prejudices, breaking them down to the smallest bits for the readers. 

The book begins with the author defining the basic concepts of racism, tribalism, and prejudice, pointing out that these words are commonly misused and offering the proper contexts for their usage. Digging into history, the author discusses these different concepts and their representation over centuries. From the first ever Homo sapiens wandering out of Africa to the current humans in the world, slave trading and conquest span centuries and nations. The author addresses prejudices and how easily they can be formed even in a little child, highlighting that most humans, in one form or another, harbor certain prejudices against some things. 

I really liked that the author included a lot about his own personal experiences living with these factors; I think this helps the reader put the book in perspective. I also loved the abundance of statistics and information about past world events, turning the book into a treasure trove of information. I liked again that the author used a lot of real-life instances, including past occurrences and current happenings. I find that this paints a clearer picture in the mind of the reader. 

I, however, think some parts of this book may come off as offensive to some people. Even though the author clearly states his stance on racism as he defines it, some of it may make some readers uncomfortable with the book. For instance, on page 96, the author, in stating things 'we can agree upon', adds that it is 'better' to be white than black. This and some other instances may seem offensive to a black person, discouraging them from reading the book. Again, in defining these concepts, the author, in some instances, sounds dangerously close to undermining and trivializing the experiences of people of color in societies like ours.

This book was, however, beautifully written, and I will give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars

I think this book adequately discusses its concepts, and as such, I will recommend it to anyone who wants an honest view of these ideas.

Prejudice, Racism, and Tribalism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! Your acknowledgment of the book's comprehensive approach, coupled with a high rating, indicates its significance in fostering understanding and conversation around critical social issues, despite its contentious aspects.
Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 75%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

The book offers a candid and thought-provoking discussion on the nature of prejudice, the definition of racism, and the universality of tribalism. Thanks for your detailed review.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

Absolute review and I'm so happy for the great and insightful read, racism, tribalism, and prejudices have been the main thing going on in the world now and I am glad that ANTHONY M. D'AGOSTINO, MD decides to speak about it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”