Review of Risky Business In Rising China

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Angels on the Mountain by Thomas F. Todd

Review of Risky Business In Rising China

Post by Esther Deekor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Risky Business In Rising China" by Mark Atkeson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Reading this book has significantly expanded my understanding of China, addressing misconceptions I previously held. While I've long admired China's technological advancements, I've overlooked its economic landscape. The author shares detailed accounts of his experiences in China, particularly emphasizing the nation's economic growth and his career trajectory within the country.

After the restrictions on US-China relations were lifted, Mark's family opted for a winter vacation in China, urged by his mother to avoid mosquitoes and the risk of viral encephalitis, which tragically claimed the life of one of his brother's former classmates. Their experience, though not as anticipated, coincided with China's early stages of modernization. Despite the challenges, Mark, then 19 years old, and his brother Andy were the only ones out of eight children to heed their father's advice to learn Asian languages due to Japan's postwar economic growth. Mark pursued Chinese language courses alongside his electrical engineering studies at Yale, driven by his ambition to build a career in China. Despite the daunting job search post-graduation, Mark persevered and eventually secured a job as a project manager through a headhunter, banking on the nation's rapid economic growth. Join Mark Atkeson as he navigates the highs and lows of entrepreneurship in his book, Risky Business In Rising China.

This insightful memoir chronicles the author's four-decade-long career journey in China, spanning twelve chapters with an insightful afterword discussing current challenges facing the nation. The author's ability to adapt and reinvent himself across various industries in China is a central theme, while familial aspects, including his wife and their meeting, are mentioned but not the primary focus. The narrative maintains a moderate pace, interspersed with humor, which I found particularly enjoyable, especially when depicting the often nuanced or cryptic communications in China. Furthermore, the author's discernment in knowing when to transition from one job or position to another is commendable.

The vivid descriptions in the narrative enabled me to vividly imagine the scenarios being depicted, often prompting me to pause, close my eyes, and immerse myself in the vivid imagery. I appreciated the inclusion of numbered references, with explanations conveniently provided below each chapter rather than at the end of the book, as is customary. This approach greatly enhanced clarity and eliminated any confusion I might have encountered while reading such passages.

I disliked nothing about this book; it was both informative and engaging to read. Despite minor errors, which were insufficient to detract from its rating, I rate it five out of five stars, acknowledging its professional editing. In my view, individuals considering business ventures and career opportunities in China should read this book. Furthermore, anyone interested in learning about China, whether for travel, exploration, or relocation purposes, would benefit greatly from its insights.

Risky Business In Rising China
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

China for me have a fast growing rate of their economy, it is essential to know how this is possible so as to raise the economy of other countries.
Opeyemi Ajiboye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opeyemi-ajiboye.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Opeyemi Ajiboye »

This wonderful book and was lucky enough to read the reviews which grow my interest in reading the main book.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

This review provides a positive and insightful overview of the book "Risky Business In Rising China". The book is praised for expanding the reader's understanding of China, particularly its economic landscape. The author's personal experiences and career trajectory in China are highlighted, showcasing the nation's rapid growth and the challenges faced by entrepreneurs. The narrative is described as engaging, with humor and vivid descriptions that immerse the reader. The inclusion of numbered references enhances clarity. Overall, the review rates the book five out of five stars, recommending it for individuals interested in business ventures or learning about China.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”