Review of Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: The Consequences of the Concept of Nothingness by Tom E. Kimmons

Review of Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages

Post by Mutai Marshal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages" by Sinclair Wilkinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Chess!! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages begins by demystifying the belief that chess is a game for only the elite. It reminds readers that, like any other sport, it requires discipline and commitment to be a great player. A comparison of two children was provided. One was an exceptional chess player who didn't necessarily have to train a lot but lacked discipline, while the other wasn't too adept in the sport yet desired to comprehend it to become a better version of himself. You can guess who left an indelible mark behind.

Sinclair L. Wilkinson provided the background of each piece in chess and the sport in totality. For instance, he dispensed an elaborate history of pawns and an analogy of learning from them. Despite having the least points, a pawn can be developed to be the most potent piece in the game.

While I have played chess for a couple of years, I came across new terminologies like en passant. Readers learn that lots of practice must be accorded to the game to excel. Those who think critically and evaluate situations can emerge victorious. Also, a proper chess opening doesn't guarantee a perfect ending; consistency is key.

I relished every exercise integrated into this book. It allows readers to practice what they have learned before confirming the answers. The absence of jargon means that beginners can grab this book and, without any guidance, begin practicing to become professional gamers. It doesn't, in any way, disparage coaching because most successful athletes have benefited immensely from being tutored and coached.

Unfortunately, I came across multiple grammatical errors. However, they didn't impair my reading experience. Again, I felt that some of the author's assertions lack underpinning evidence, such as claiming chess to be the most popular and oldest sport.

Based on the comments above, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars, as it is a remarkable arsenal for anyone interested in chess. The flaws, however, held me back from awarding it a higher rating. I would gladly recommend this book to those desiring to nudge their chess skills or learn the sport.

Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JOSEPHINE Aruta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JOSEPHINE Aruta »

From the description, it seems that the second child, despite not initially being adept at chess, leaves a lasting impression through their dedication and desire to understand the game and become a better version of themselves. This highlights the importance of perseverance and the potential for personal growth through the practice of chess.

Overall, "Chess!! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages" appears to promote the idea that anyone, regardless of their background or skill level, can enjoy and benefit from playing chess.
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by williams Emerald »

The background given on each chess piece, particularly the pawns, adds a wonderful layer of depth to the game. Understanding the historical context and strategic importance of seemingly simple pieces can transform how beginners approach learning chess.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”