Review of Beyond the Veil -Live Again

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: The Confabulations of Toulouse Lechat by Richard Trebilcock

Review of Beyond the Veil -Live Again

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Beyond the Veil -Live Again" by Anne Naidoo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

So many people are trapped in the web of domestic abuse and violence, and it's really worrisome to think that some people do not even know that they are being abused or the right sources to seek help. In her book, Beyond the Veil—Live Again, Anne Naidoo equips readers with the knowledge and survival tactics to handle domestic violence and abuse, even as she shares with them how she navigated her turbulent marriage and the abuses of her husband to build herself into a formidable, successful woman.

One of the book's outstanding merits is its rich use of metaphors, like the use of the biblical people of AMALEK to expose the circumstances under which depression thrives and manifests and the use of the insect ANTS to project an overall healthy approach to life and living. These gave depth to the concerned discussions, helped me better relate to their impacts, and enabled me to connect deeper with the liberating insights shared in this book.

Anne did an impressive job helping readers understand the various forms of abuse, how to look out for them before committing to any relationship, master essential safety measures, and how to avail oneself of the various aids out there. These aspects appealed to me the most. It not only informed me of the red flags to look out for but also got me assessing myself for areas of relapse.

I enjoyed reading this book, and I am delighted to recommend it to all those going through various forms of abuse, hoping that they find in this book the knowledge and the strength to take redeeming actions. It will also be of immense help to singles and couples (whether happily married or not), as it helps with an honest assessment of one's self so proper treatment can be initiated in cases where signs of abusive behaviors are detected.

There are three issues I wish the author could look into. First, I came across some grammatical and typographical errors while reading the book. Although they didn't interfere with my reading, fixing them would just be great. Second, I think it would be better if the author went direct with her marital struggles instead of using another character. Third, I didn't see the need for the narrative in chapter eleven ("The Silent Scream!"). It took me unawares and was kind of removed from the evolving line of discourse so far. Because of these, I am deducting one star and rating this book four out of five stars.

Beyond the Veil -Live Again
View: on Bookshelves
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The author’s ability to convey the emotions is truly commendable, I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a thought-provoking read that tackles important social issues with compassion.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

The author did a great job to write these survival techniques, as the reviewer said many don't know they are in abuse.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”