Review of Zen and the Art of Writing

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Review of Zen and the Art of Writing

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zen and the Art of Writing" by Ray Hodgson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

How can writers conquer the notorious writer's block? Psychologist Ray Hodgson addresses this challenge in his book "Zen and the Art of Writing: Publish Your First Book," offering practical guidance for aspiring authors. Zen philosophy advocates for the removal of mental barriers, allowing the mind to operate freely and naturally, aligning with Plutarch's concept of igniting the mind rather than merely filling it.

Hodgson champions associational thinking—the fusion of unrelated ideas to birth innovation—an approach backed by Professor Mednick and exemplified by Steve Jobs. Central to Hodgson's thesis is the role of meditation in fostering this creative flow, enabling thoughts to traverse freely into the subconscious where creativity thrives.

The book explores the intricate dance between meditation, brainwaves, and creativity, emphasizing the role of energy, frequency, and vibration in unlocking innovative ideas. Through the lens of brainwave frequencies and the therapeutic potential of binaural beats, Hodgson offers techniques for inducing relaxation and nurturing creativity during meditation.

Moreover, the book delves into the power of incubation and musing in problem-solving and creativity enhancement, drawing inspiration from historical icons like Thomas Edison, who viewed setbacks as stepping stones to growth.

Hodgson also emphasizes the importance of skill development, character depth, and effective storytelling techniques, using his own novel "The Protectors" as a case study. Additionally, practical insights into monetization and marketing equip aspiring writers with a comprehensive toolkit for navigating the intricacies of the writing profession.

This non-fiction book impresses with its clarity, conciseness, well-structured format, and seamless flow. The editing also deserves commendation, with only one oversight detected during my reading. Nonetheless, it falls short of offering groundbreaking insights. Instead, it relies heavily on echoing advice from literary luminaries such as Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ernest Hemingway, and John Steinbeck, alongside the wisdom of scientific giants like Einstein and Tesla.

Though I found myself resonating with certain aspects of the book, it lacked the freshness and depth needed to make a lasting impression. The excessive use of quotes from famous figures, while initially captivating, becomes somewhat overwhelming. Considering its merits and flaws, I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to aspiring writers seeking quick and practical guidance, especially those intrigued by the relationship between mindfulness and writing. As an avid reader, I resonate with Lev Grossman's wisdom, echoed by the author: "Don't take anyone's writing advice too seriously."

Zen and the Art of Writing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

I have never thought of writing a book but I believe that in future, if I will have something to write, I will definitely do so. This book seems to focus on many things apart from learning how to write and I am interested to learn about them. Thanks for the detailed review!
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Jeff Kanda wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 09:14 I have never thought of writing a book but I believe that in future, if I will have something to write, I will definitely do so. This book seems to focus on many things apart from learning how to write and I am interested to learn about them. Thanks for the detailed review!
Thank you very much, Jeff. This is indeed a very helpful book for new authors; it has links to the website with more practical advice. It talks about binaural beats, which I have been listening to for a few years and they really help me concentrate. I am not a writer though; I prefer reading! It is quite a short book, so quick to read. Thanks again, and all the best with everything!
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 09:30
Jeff Kanda wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 09:14 I have never thought of writing a book but I believe that in future, if I will have something to write, I will definitely do so. This book seems to focus on many things apart from learning how to write and I am interested to learn about them. Thanks for the detailed review!
Thank you very much, Jeff. This is indeed a very helpful book for new authors; it has links to the website with more practical advice. It talks about binaural beats, which I have been listening to for a few years and they really help me concentrate. I am not a writer though; I prefer reading! It is quite a short book, so quick to read. Thanks again, and all the best with everything!
Hi Claudia, I'm glad to know that you have been using binaural beats focus. As for me, I can focus differently depending on what I am doing. I prefer having intense reading when it is totally quiet as that is when I can focus best. However, when doing things like designing graphics, I always have music playing at the background.
I also wish you the best in all your endeavors. May you live a fullfilling life Claudia.
Sarah Zain
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

I didn't know about binaural beats. It's good to learn about new ideas even if I haven't thought about writing a book yet. Detailed review in an easy and beautiful way Claudia.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

Your review is well-structured and provides clarity about the novel. Personally, I agree that meditation can help increase creative flow. Thanks for a great review yet again.
Runan

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”