Review of Hottentot Venus; the Story of Saartjie Baartman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: The Fairy Tale of Peckham Rye Park by MeM Tekari

Review of Hottentot Venus; the Story of Saartjie Baartman

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hottentot Venus; the Story of Saartjie Baartman" by Monica Clarke.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Hottentot Venus – The Story of Saartjie Baartman" is a biography of Saartjie written by Monica Clarke. Monica hoped to write about Saartjie and tell the world the truth about her, to present a different story from the many others being told about Saartjie. Drawing from records and writings, she narrates Saartjie's journey, detailing her travels after being deceived and taken to Europe, where she was eventually abused and coerced into actions she never initially agreed to nor wanted. The book is written as if being narrated by Saartjie herself.

The storytelling style made it easier for me to believe; it was written with so much conviction. The author's ability to highlight Saartjie's emotional state was intelligently done. The dubious schemes of her deceivers in England were convincingly depicted, with certain proofs of accuracy highlighted, causing me to quickly understand their patterns and also empathize with Saartjie's plight.

The explanations of Hendrick's treatment towards Saartjie and that of others who enjoyed seeing her exhibit caused my mind to think of individuals who suffer such cruelty in present-day society and are unable to fight back or be rescued. It is such a cruel act. The book brings such thoughts to the surface in the mind of the reader, which is particularly impactful, as more voices should be raised in favor of abused and enslaved individuals in the present day.

I did not dislike anything about the book; the clear writing pattern and subtle historical contexts, such as brief insights into the state of South Africa around the 17th century, all resonated well with me. I found just a few errors in the book, which did not detract from my reading experience. I would rate the book a 5 out of 5 due to its expertly written nature; it was one I thoroughly enjoyed reading.

I recommend the book to lovers of historical stories. Individuals who enjoy biographies of historical figures will also appreciate this work.

Hottentot Venus; the Story of Saartjie Baartman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”