Review of Puck Farkinson's

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of Puck Farkinson's

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Puck Farkinson's" by Mike Justak.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Author Mike Justak manages, in just 91 pages, to generate inspiration. His intended audience is other sufferers of Parkinson's disease, but his simple formula can be copied by anyone for any situation. The acronym HOPE is broken down into humor, optimism, plan, and exercise. Justak tells the story of how he managed to cope after being diagnosed with this debilitating disease at age 47. His book, Puck Farkinsons: A Parkinson's Memoir, contains examples of how the four HOPE attributes have kept him going.

I especially like how he uses three movies, It's a Wonderful Life, Blues Brothers, and 2001 Space Odyssey, as metaphors for hope and redemption in his life. Justak wrote the book for senior-aged readers who are probably familiar with those movies, but he provides a synopsis of each one for the younger crowd who might not have seen those films.

The most touching chapter deals with a story about the wedding of the author's brother. Justak's father died of a heart attack while dancing with Justak's mother at the reception. The author describes the ride home and hearing the song "Alone Again Naturally." The lyrics by O'Sullivan fit the situation perfectly: I remember I cried when my father died.

The author's clever title and cover are exceptional. I also commend Justak for his non-profit work to support and encourage individuals who have been diagnosed with Parkinson's. Because the author hid his illness for two years, he can empathize with others going through the same situation.

My rating is five out of five because there are no negatives. The editing is excellent. I found only two subjective comma errors, but they were not bothersome. The author was even thoughtful enough to use a larger font to compensate for aging eyesight. This quick read provides some important facts about a terrible ailment in an honest and humorous style.

Puck Farkinson's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

This is the first time I have heard about Parkinson's disease, and I love the acronym HOPE that is advised that should be implemented in thiw book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”