Review of Finally, I am CEO

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: The Reverend Psychopath by Dr Andrew Rynne

Review of Finally, I am CEO

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finally, I am CEO" by Dr Michael Earle.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

During his academic years, Michael Earle had a profound interest in geography. Later on, he discovered his passion for geology at the age of sixteen after taking a course. He completed a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree in Geology and Environment, followed by four years of postgraduate research at the University of London, which allowed him to pursue a career in either academia or geology. At first, he was inclined towards academia, but his perspective changed after a life-changing experience in Indonesia during his PhD research. Consequently, he became an exploration geologist and joined BP, where he embarked on a fascinating and amazingly adventurous professional journey. The author, Michael Earle, gives a personal account of his unique career and journey to the top in the book titled, Finally, I Am CEO.

This book is divided into four parts. Each part draws interesting portraits of various countries and companies where he worked for over 40 years. During this period, he has worked with small, large, listed, family-owned, and state-run national oil companies, which involved traveling to 30 countries and residing in 10 of them. His meticulousness is on full display throughout the book. Every new professional endeavor he undertakes is well documented, down to the names and dates involved and 62 images of correspondence, charts, and graphs; the same is true of all his personal and family-related activities. The reader learns more about the author, his dedication to geology, his love for fieldwork, and the genuineness with which he worked on each of his projects.

Between employers and countries, there are concerns about oil-field employment as it is dependent on various external factors: the country's economic conditions, government engagement, internal business dynamics, people's ulterior motives, and so on. I appreciate that the author presents an analytical graph of ups and downs in his career and provides insights that can help individuals navigate the corporate world and life as an expat.

He is a keen observer, which helped him understand how the country's politics and economic conditions impacted his work. This quality made him proficient in risk management. He did not fear the uncertainty of the oil industry but instead used that time to learn new skills and enhance the value he brought to his work. Later in life, he enrolled in an MBA program and strived to improve and advance. These lessons he learned are valuable and will aid any reader in navigating the corporate maze.

In each chapter of the book, the concluding remarks cover various aspects of work-life balance, lessons learned, and a postscript. The author highlights the importance of work-life balance and talks about his love for his family, sports, and other interests despite his busy schedule. He shares his experiences of playing rugby, earning a racing license, and pursuing sports diver certification, among other things. The author also discusses the pros and cons of living as an expatriate and how his personal life was affected by his time away from his family. He prioritizes family and financial security but admits that he wasn't always successful in achieving a perfect balance.

The lessons learned section is exceptionally educational and provides valuable insights for people from diverse backgrounds. The author emphasizes the importance of transparent and healthy working environments. The postscript discusses the state of operations after the author's departure and provides a final glimpse into the author's experiences.

My interest in the book stems from a family member who works in the same profession and the fact that it explores the challenges faced by those in the oil and gas industry. I must confess that I found the parts where the author described how they navigated through the project more engaging than the ones that contained detailed information about project specifics. However, this does not imply that the book deserves a lower rating, as the detailed portions will interest professionals in the oil and gas industry.

I would also like to commend the editors for their excellent work. Considering all the aspects, I give this book a five out of five-star rating.

I recommend this insightful book to individuals in the oil and gas industry. The inputs in the book will also prove valuable for expats whose jobs require extensive travel and time away from home. Corporate employees can also benefit from the lessons within the book, which can help them navigate the industry's unique dynamics and succeed.

Finally, I am CEO
View: on Bookshelves
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

Michael Earle life is intriguing as it shows how one passion can change overtime and lead fl ones succes.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”