Review of YOU KNOW WHAT YOU OUGHT TO DO IS READ THIS BOOK

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Chasing Tales by Christine J. Logan

Review of YOU KNOW WHAT YOU OUGHT TO DO IS READ THIS BOOK

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "YOU KNOW WHAT YOU OUGHT TO DO IS READ THIS BOOK" by A. P. Eman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes, you read a book and don’t know what to say. It is a strange feeling that can at times be good and at other times not that good. Unfortunately, after reading the book YOU KNOW WHAT YOU OUGHT TO DO IS READ THIS BOOK by A. P. Eman, this strange feeling leaned more towards the negative side, and I’ll explain why.

To begin with, this book is like a memoir that reads more like a diary, mainly with respect to the casual writing style. It talks about the author’s life right from the time he was a kid until he became a grandfather. He talks a bit about his military family background, his time in high school, his wrestling journey, which was unfortunately affected by an accident that was almost fatal, his sexual experiences, the various jobs he did like working at a gas station, working for a roofing company, or working at Home Depot, and many other odd jobs in between all of these until he finally settled on his job as an airport cab driver that lasted for 13 years. He then talks about his son and his baseball journey, and he ends with a fair acknowledgment that talks about his thoughts on the life he has lived so far. Now, let me first mention what I liked about this book.

I liked that the author portrayed his thoughts with extreme honesty. There is no filter, and it is as raw as it could possibly be. Well, this is the only thing I liked about the book.

Coming forward, what I did not like was that the book lacked structure. It is not divided into chapters, and it reads like one long rant that lasts for 64 pages. Moreover, the sentences begin in the present tense and end in the past tense, and this happens all through the book, which makes me believe that this is the author’s writing style. I am not saying it was bad, but it doesn’t make sense to write in this fashion. A more polished writing style would be appreciated! The book also suffers from a lot of grammatical and typographical errors. A thorough round of editing is what I would recommend and appreciate.

Further, the author has shared his sexual experiences with multiple women on almost every page. He doesn’t go into the details explicitly, but it is as though chasing after different women was all he did in his life. Having said that, I appreciate his honesty and also the fact that he did apologize at the end of the book to all the women he has been with, owning up to the fact that he indeed was a misogynist and used all these women for his own satisfaction. It takes courage to own up to it, and I appreciate that. However, I still don’t like it. He even shares how he has been to jail multiple times and was a regular user of cocaine; he wasn’t a drug addict, but he did do a lot of drugs in his younger days. All these things made me a little uncomfortable while reading, to be honest, and I did not see any purpose in writing this book because there isn’t much to learn from the author’s life except for the fact that he mentions as well, which is learning not to make bad decisions. Overall, it was a bittersweet read for me.

Thus, owing to all the reasons mentioned above, I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars. The two stars are solely for the author's honesty, while the reasons for the deduction of three stars have been well explained above. As for the recommendation, I’m finding it difficult to find a solid reason to recommend it to anyone, so I think I’ll just pass with the recommendation part and let you decide on the basis of this review. Cheers!

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU OUGHT TO DO IS READ THIS BOOK
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Chasing Tales by Christine J. Logan

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

For everyone reading this review, I’d like to also mention that the author went through hours and hours of therapy before writing this book. I got to know about it from the author himself after my review was published. Thus, I felt it is important to acknowledge this fact and his bravery to write this book. Thanks.
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Do Thi Huong »

I like your emphasis on the author's honesty throughout the review. It takes a lot of courage for someone to admit these kinds of mistakes and failures to others, and I applaud the author's bravery. However, the frequent mention of his sexual experiences with multiple women on almost every page makes me hesitate and unsure if I want to read it. Perhaps the author could improve by focusing more on how he has grown from his mistakes and providing meaningful lessons or guidance for readers, such as his experience with therapy, to make the book feel more positive and valuable.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi, Jaituni. Thank you for this informative and honest review. Books that are not well structured annoy me. The fact that this book is like one long rant bores me right away. The title lures one in. The author has interesting things to share but the way he shares them is how he makes people lose interest. Hopefully, he will take your critiques into account, restructure the book, and use professional editing. :techie-studyinggray:
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

Most people I've seen over the years that wants to go into the career of sports seems to be faced with one difficultly that makes them quit.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”