Review of Journeying With The Jacksons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee

Review of Journeying With The Jacksons

Post by Nenye Charles »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journeying With The Jacksons" by Dr Carole & Revd Dr Richard Jackson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Journeying With The Jacksons” by Dr. Carole & Revd. Dr. Richard Jackson is an interesting memoir about the journey and life of Reverend Jackson, a Christian missionary and minister of the Methodist Church. He journeys with his wife, Carole, and Heather, their first child, into Africa, specifically Sierra Leone. Here, he highlights the challenges faced and achievements in his letters during his stay in this country. Get a copy to read about these experiences.

I like how detailed the author is in giving insight into the life of a missionary, including how he managed to maintain a positive outlook towards life even in the face of challenges, harsh weather, politics, funding, low educational quality, bad roads, and so on. The author’s simple language in writing is an attribute I admire. Again, I love how meticulous the author and his wife were in compiling the annual letters from the times his family lived in Sierra Leone until the time they got back to the UK.

The pictures displayed in the book help lend credence to the story, especially while in Sierra Leone. The author’s experience here helped her learn more about the cultural practices of the people. This book contains a collection of letters from 1969 to 1979 in which he gives a detailed report of his activities in ministry. In one of Richard’s letters to his friends, I got to understand the importance of giving praise to God and rejoicing, even for the little moments. I also learned about the importance of giving and tithing.

The only thing I don’t like about this book is the number of errors. I found many of them, which disrupted my reading flow. For this reason, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. There’s no justification to award it a lower rating than this because the book contains a lot of lessons concerning ministry, family, and marriage. Richard, despite his busy schedule as a minister and missionary, manages to create some time for his wife and kids. This is a virtue every father and husband should emulate.

This book is family-oriented; hence, it is recommended to couples, as they’ll learn a lot of ways to spice up their marriage and create time for each other. Again, it is ideal for anyone in ministry, as there are lots of valuable lessons to learn, and it also helps one gain insight in this area.

Journeying With The Jacksons
View: on Bookshelves
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

The life of missionaries isn't easy, so in other to understand what they face and how they face the challenges, one have to read their experiences as written in this book.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”