Review of Under Nazi Noses

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fatola Fatai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Review of Under Nazi Noses

Post by Fatola Fatai »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Under Nazi Noses" by John Tepper Marlin, translator-editor.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin, translator-editor is an interesting and well-crafted historical narrative that takes readers to the heart of the Dutch Resistance during the tough years of World War II. From the very first pages, I found myself captivated by the ancestral history of the Van Hall family, whose members stood against injustice, foreshadowing the remarkable courage and defiance that Walraven van Hall would later exhibit.

The author depicted Walraven’s early years of fighting for justice using various scenarios. An example of this is his determination to seek his father’s help in freeing some children who were detained wrongfully. This painting is a portrait of a man rooted in a sense of justice and compassion. This also laid the foundation for understanding the extraordinary risks he would later take in defying the Nazi occupation.

As the narrative unfolded, I understood the socio-economic climate in the Netherlands and Europe during the Great Depression and the financial crisis of 1929. A part of the narrative that made me hold my breath was the German invasion of the Netherlands in 1940. I was unsure if the Dutch would resist or succumb to the occupation. This sense of suspense kept me invested in the book and eagerly turning the pages to uncover the fate of Walraven and his fellow countrymen. There are also lessons to be learned from the German persecution of Jewish citizens. This served as a reminder of the atrocities of the past and the importance of learning from history to prevent such tragedies from recurring.

I rate this book five out of five stars, not just for the author’s clear storytelling style but also for his attention to detail and authenticity. Including historical photographs and comprehensive endnotes added an invaluable layer of credibility to the narrative. This further allowed me to immerse myself in the narrative, as if I were watching a video documentary. I appreciate the careful editing of the book, as I did not encounter any errors that could have disrupted my reading experience. I did not notice any negatives throughout my reading journey. The author’s dedication to historical accuracy, combined with his ability to craft an interesting narrative, made me experience an informative read from start to finish.

I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in World War II history, especially those seeking a deeper understanding of the Dutch Resistance and the extraordinary courage displayed by individuals like Walraven van Hall. This book is a must-read for educators, students, and anyone who appreciates well-researched historical narratives that bring the past to life.

Under Nazi Noses
View: on Bookshelves
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

Historians will definitely love this, many stories unknown from the World war II. A documentary of this will be very great.
Fatola Fatai
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Fatola Fatai »

Anozie Stephanie wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 04:03 Historians will definitely love this, many stories unknown from the World war II. A documentary of this will be very great.
Of course it will. Thank you for stopping by.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”