Review of Reawakening the magic volume 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Healthy Home Cooked Food for Your Dog by Denise Adamson

Review of Reawakening the magic volume 1

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Reawakening the magic volume 1" by Claire De Voyant.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In "Reawakening the Magic - Volume 1: by Facing the Shadows," Claire de Voyant shares their thoughts on the existence of dark and disturbing themes in some popular fairy tales usually marketed for children. These themes are in direct opposition to the presently accepted societal narratives and messages propagated by modern-day movements such as the feminist movement. The author analyzes the presence of these disturbing themes from older folklore to their continued existence in even revised present-day editions. The author hopes to educate readers on the dangers of such narratives being propagated to children.

The author was able to create a distinction between the initial folktales and present-day revised versions, indicating the differences and the existing problems. This resulted in a truly educative read because most of the analogies were logically sound. As someone who enjoys engaging in logical substance, I had a good read. The explanations were presented in ways that wouldn't provoke the reader but would instead help them see reasons and interact with the content.

It is important that reads like this allow readers to understand whatever level of urgency exists, and the author was able to do this impeccably, in my opinion. A few analogies into the psychological influence of fairy tales existed, and I was occasionally thrown into deep thought, considering if my thoughts aligned with those of the author and also being willing to conduct some research. This further shows how engaging the narrative was. It is also positive as it sheds light on present societal ills and the role of media in addressing them, a topic that essentially should be discussed more often.

I did not dislike any aspect of the book; the thought-provoking nature was a huge plus, and the author's writing style was also great. Additionally, I did not find errors while I read. Due to the absence of errors, the existence of thought-provoking themes, and the splendid writing style, I am inclined to rate the book a 5 out of 5.

The book is recommended to individuals who are open to thought-provoking reads aimed at creating societal change, especially educators, parents, and those interested in folklore and societal narratives.

Reawakening the magic volume 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mary Lou Mills
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: The Buffalo Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-lou-mills.html
Latest Review: Permaculture for the Absolute Beginner by Dawn Raynes
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Mary Lou Mills »

Perhaps stories like Hansel and Greta kept some children from wandering into the woods too far. Maybe I'm being nostalgic! I love being in the woods.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

We should be careful of what we give our children to read, they believe a lot of things at such young age, there are certain things I still believe from my childhood.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”