Review of Duck Blinds I Have Known

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3061
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange

Review of Duck Blinds I Have Known

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Duck Blinds I Have Known" by Donny McElvoy.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny was introduced to duck hunting by his father at a young age and quickly grew to love it. Along with his childhood friend Bubba, he demonstrated responsibility with guns and boats early on, earning the trust of their parents. Over time, his passion deepened, leading to this book, which chronicles the wealth of experience accumulated over the years as a duck hunter. Some adventures he recounts are genuinely risky, leaving the reader in suspense, much like Donny's own experiences when he would ask questions and receive seemingly vague answers. In one memorable incident, his friend Bill confronted men who had occupied Donny’s blind, threatening to burn it down if they did not vacate. Would he have done it? Other crazy incidents abound.

Duck Blinds I Have Known: The Life and Times of a Tried and True Duck Hunter, authored by Donny McElvoy, is a non-fiction book centered on duck hunting. It offers several incredible lessons for enthusiasts of duck and goose hunting. For example, Donny emphasizes the importance of being able to identify different duck species, as their behaviors determine how they can be attracted. The inclusion of pictures in the book is especially helpful, illustrating some points or concepts where words alone might not suffice. Donny showcases that duck hunting is a journey of continuous learning, evidenced by one of his friends' insightful observation about the behavior of ducks flying in odd and even numbers. If ducks can learn and adapt, so must the hunter, and Donny emphasizes this repeatedly.

Passion is at the core of Donny's approach to duck hunting, evidenced by his innovations like the specially designed duck blind that could withstand flooding and his jerk-cord boom rig. Following one of his friends' suggestions, Donny has succeeded in writing a book that is as entertaining as it is enlightening. Initially, I was a bit concerned when the introduction focused heavily on hunting tricks, tips, and techniques. However, I was quickly both entertained and enlightened by the later chapters, which delve into the author's rich personal experiences. An aspect of the book I thoroughly enjoyed is the evolution of duck-hunting gear, from decoys to boats. It is fascinating that often the most basic items, including technology that appears obsolete and might be overlooked, are the ones that can save the day when more modern equipment fails.

Humorous anecdotes are sprinkled throughout. One such anecdote was the disclosure of why he had nicknamed the notorious leader of a group of poachers 'Noah'. The book reveals various tactics and tricks to hunt without interference, such as employing dummy blinds to secure preferred hunting spots. The narrative around the development of the Town Creek Hunting Club adds a layer of drama, showing how greed can entangle anyone, even a priest, leading to significant consequences. Donny also discusses the potential consequences of long-term engagement in duck hunting, including times when they broke the law and narrowly avoided legal repercussions. I found nothing to dislike about Duck Blinds I Have Known. I heartily rate it five out of five stars.

Duck Blinds I Have Known
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Latest Review: Arc by M. E. Lange
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

Father and son bond is something I wish I had. I enjoy Donny and his father experience and bond together, this experience taught his most things about adventures.
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by williams Emerald »

“Duck Blinds I Have Known” is a captivating journey into the world of duck hunting, filled with thrilling adventures, valuable insights, and humorous anecdotes. Donny McElvoy’s passion for the sport shines through, making this book a must-read for enthusiasts and novices alike. A delightful blend of entertainment and enlightenment!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”