Review of The Reverend Psychopath

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seetha E
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: Ultra Top Secret SCI by Elton M Hudgins jr

Review of The Reverend Psychopath

Post by Seetha E »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Reverend Psychopath" by Dr Andrew Rynne.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Reverend Samuel Cotton was a clergyman in the Church of Ireland who managed an orphanage for destitute Catholic children in Caragh, County Kildare, Ireland. He was a proponent of Protestantism and anti-intellectualism, often resorting to the law for the slightest of his perceived threats. Born in 1823, he received his priestly ordination in 1848 and married Eliza Gordon Johnson in 1855. The book offers a summary of his early life. Soon after his marriage, he began exhibiting behaviors that were highly psychopathic, to say the least.

He had perfected the skill of using underprivileged infants and children as bait for raising money. Evidence of the enormous sums he could afford as sureties indicates that the Cottons used the orphanage as a conduit to amass a fortune to support their opulent lifestyle. A bare minimum of the funds collected were used toward the children's upbringing. To top it all off, the children in his care suffered utter wilful neglect, mistreatment, and cruelty.

The Reverend Psychopath is authored by Dr. Andrew Rynne and Veronica Judge. Paul Cooke assisted by providing crucial research contributions for the book. Dr. Andrew provides a detailed account of Samuel Cotton's journey that led to him losing his titles of Reverand and Vicar. I encourage readers to pick up a copy to find out how awful things went.

The conditions in which the kids had to live, descriptions of the dorms, the state of affairs therein, and the details provided by the doctors, ISPCC, and RIC were all vivid. I appreciate that the author did not, in any way, simmer down the gruesome details of each of the incidents discussed, although they were very disturbing.

It is commendable that the book provides photographs of the documents and the locations in question to assure the readers that the case was well-researched and the information was authentic. For instance, the photograph of the shed at the back of the Glebe House used to house the Dennison children appears on page 121 and successfully conveys the reality of what the children had to endure.

The Church of Ireland's response to Cotton's behavior showed a complete disregard for accountability. The church authorities turned a blind eye even after Cotton's imprisonment. Cotton's second imprisonment forced them to act. This attitude is questionable.

I was saddened to read that neither of the ladies employed there raised an alarm. The happenings at the orphanage failed to stir the soul of Mrs. Cotton. In this regard, the family plays a crucial role in identifying and reporting such behaviors. Mrs. Cotton and her family's role in bailing him out in the early stages encouraged his deviant behavior. The case of Kate Kelly Keogh and her sense of helplessness calls into question the established norms.

If not for the hospitalization of baby Elizabeth, followed by the persistence of Rev. John Watson, the ongoings at the quasi-orphanage would have gone unnoticed. The Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC) and the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) acted heroically by wholeheartedly backing Rev. Watson, bringing Cotton to justice, and freeing the remaining children. This case needs to reach the masses. It is necessary to raise awareness and hold those in positions of power accountable.

On a positive note, I was relieved to learn that the locals did stand up against the man and showed they cared for and supported the kids by refusing to offer him the necessities or accommodations.

I have no negative feedback regarding the book's content or structure. Considering all the above-listed factors and excellent editing, I rate this book five out of five stars.

I recommend this book to adults. The book is not for the fainthearted. It is an informative book for students of psychology and those who wish to learn about antisocial personality disorders. It is an eye-opener for people holding powerful religious positions to consider accountability seriously.

The Reverend Psychopath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I once heard of Reverend Samuel Cotton and wasn't sure if what I heard was true as I wasn't in the state to make some researches, grabbing this book will certainly confirm what I have heard.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Anozie Stephanie wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 13:47 I once heard of Reverend Samuel Cotton and wasn't sure if what I heard was true as I wasn't in the state to make some researches, grabbing this book will certainly confirm what I have heard.
I am glad to know that you are interested.
Thanks for reading and dropping a comment.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading: Weep For Love
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 104%

Post by RJ Reviews »

This book caught my attention due to its catchy title. Stories based on real-life incidents are always a page-turner. My heart breaks for those innocent victims. That the culprit could continue his horrendous acts for such a long time is infuriating. I loved reading your review. It reflects on the theme perfectly. Thanks.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

It's disturbing to learn how small children fall victim to the care of supposedly honest and caring people. Your summary is skillfully detailed, Seetha; it gave me a clear overview of the story. I enjoyed reading your review very much; you did an excellent job!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

RJ Reviews wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 00:54 That the culprit could continue his horrendous acts for such a long time is infuriating.
I agree 100%.
Thanks for taking the time to read and share your thoughts.
Appreciate your kind comments.
Seetha E

Post by Seetha E »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 13:34 It's disturbing to learn how small children fall victim to the care of supposedly honest and caring people. Your summary is skillfully detailed, Seetha; it gave me a clear overview of the story. I enjoyed reading your review very much; you did an excellent job!
Very true.
Thanks for you kind words.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”