Review of Finally Free

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bron Bakers
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bron-bakers.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review of Finally Free

Post by Bron Bakers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finally Free" by Seth Showalter.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It can be quite damaging to try to be “normal” by everyone else’s standards. It is this unhealthy quest that prompted the author, Seth Showalter, to write this book. The author kept a journal where he penned down his thoughts on his journey through sexual orientation change. This book is an accumulation of what he wrote in that journal, with comments on what the author, who is now better informed, thinks about each entry.

Seth Showalter had an accident at age 6, which resulted in his having Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI). The wreck placed him in a coma for six days and resulted in several mental health issues, including depression. However, TBI was not responsible for much of the author’s problems. He discovered he was gay after having a sexual encounter with a colleague during his summer job in high school. This was the beginning of real conflict for Seth. As a religious young man, he struggled with accepting his same-sex attraction as he felt it was sinful. Everyone else around him thought so too. He begged God to change him and did everything in his power to change, including enrolling in a program that promised to have the solution. His experiences at NH provided many thought-provoking points. Whether or not this quest to transform into heterosexuality was successful, the reader will find out.

I liked the author’s writing style. He presented entries from his journal from each day in NH's program and made present-day comments on every one of them. He ensured he made clear-cut differences between entries from his journal and present-day comments. This made it easier to follow his story. The way he approached every matter critically and analytically was also commendable.

There was much to learn from this book. The author, who is now a therapist, stressed some of the ills of forceful sexual orientation change. He also brought to light how manipulative people can be in the name of religion. Even though I did not agree with the author on some matters, I appreciated his point of view and took some lessons from it.

I found nothing to dislike in this book. The author poured out his heart into writing this without any obvious loose ends. Although I noticed some errors in the book, it can still pass for a well-edited publication as the errors are not enough to disrupt the reader’s flow.

I rate this book five out of five stars because I enjoyed reading it. It was well written. The author’s point of view on sexual orientation change was spelled out from the beginning, leaving no confusion for the reader. I recommend Finally Free to open-minded individuals, especially those contemplating conversion therapy.

Finally Free
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Raymonda Onwuka 1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka-1.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Raymonda Onwuka 1 »

Thanks for the great review. Being normal by everyone's standard or by the general standard is practically impossible. People who seems to be normal by everyone's standard are those who are hiding a lot of things.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I understand how Seth Showalter may feel, going through all these will surely make you not seem "normal." It is a great thing those thoughts were jotted down so as we would learn
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by williams Emerald »

Seth Showalter’s journey in “Finally Free” is a powerful testament to the complexities of identity and the struggles many face in reconciling their sexuality with societal and religious expectations. His honesty and introspection make for a compelling read, shedding light on the harmful effects of conversion therapy and the importance of self-acceptance. This book offers valuable insights and serves as a beacon of hope for those navigating similar challenges.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”