Review of Silent Voices

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Silent Voices by Marilyn Thompson

Review of Silent Voices

Post by Alissa Nesson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silent Voices" by Marilyn Thompson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Silent Voices, by Marilyn L. Thompson, is a faith-based book about the everyday struggles of disabled seniors. It brings to light the physical and psychological problems they can sometimes face, as well as the different kinds of abuse and neglect they may endure. Thompson is a social worker who interacts with disabled seniors on a regular basis. Her book includes the personal experiences of individual seniors, providing insights into their thoughts and feelings about their circumstances.

This book contains important information that exposes certain issues that readers may not fully comprehend. It addresses the isolation, loneliness, neglect, and various forms of abuse that older people may deal with when their bodies and minds start to decline. Additionally, there is a section on the profound impact the COVID-19 lockdown had on seniors’ experiences of life and death.

Faith, especially Christian faith, was a particularly prominent theme in this book. It was highlighted as something that frequently gives seniors hope when they need it most. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this, I found it curious that neither the book’s cover nor its blurb mentioned anything about its faith-based nature. Its omission is significant, as many readers may not be interested in spiritual content. If I had been aware of this aspect of it, I likely wouldn’t have chosen this book, as I don’t align with its target audience—those who are spiritual or religious in nature, especially those who identify as Christians. While the book’s introduction stresses its inclusivity, most of the discussions about faith refer to the teachings of the Christian Bible. Furthermore, I don’t think that many of the references to faith were particularly relevant to the rest of the book or its message. While some passages effectively explored how faith can offer solace and hope, others veered off into irrelevant tangents, muddying the book’s focus. It felt like the author was attempting to write two separate books simultaneously.

Another issue I had was with the frequent grammar mistakes. Many of these errors appeared to be simple typos or easily identifiable issues that should have been caught during the initial read-through. This suggests inadequate editing and proofreading, if these things were done at all.

The tenses and points of view also tended to change unexpectedly and without explanation. Sometimes a story would start out in the first person, then suddenly shift to the third person, without explaining whose point of view it had switched to or why. It was confusing.

There was also a section on the sexual exploitation of seniors, focusing solely on the exploitation of senior men. I found this to be puzzling, considering that senior women are statistically more vulnerable to sexual exploitation than men. While it’s possible the author intended to point out that men are also susceptible to such exploitation, since they are more likely to remain silent about it, the complete absence of any discussion about senior women on this topic was notable.

This is an important subject that needs to be discussed more often, but this book was poorly organized and unfocused. Because of this and the other issues mentioned earlier, I’m rating this book two out of five stars. While the premise is promising, it requires better execution.

Silent Voices
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1021
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This is a subject that I identify with more and more as my family members get older. They are still able to care for themselves, but won’t be able to forever. I don’t know why this is seen as solely a Christian issue when it. Is clearly a societal one. Thanks!
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Amy Luman wrote: 08 May 2024, 11:16 This is a subject that I identify with more and more as my family members get older. They are still able to care for themselves, but won’t be able to forever. I don’t know why this is seen as solely a Christian issue when it. Is clearly a societal one. Thanks!
You misunderstood. I never said this was a Christian issue. The book spoke a lot about Christianity.
- Once On This Island
Shahida Anwar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shahida Anwar »

"Silent Voice" is a poignant and deeply moving story that delves into themes of redemption, forgiveness, and the power of communication. At its core, the narrative follows the journey of [main character(s)], exploring the complexities of bullying, guilt, and the impact of one's actions on others.

One of the most striking aspects of "Silent Voice" is its raw and authentic portrayal of the emotional turmoil experienced by both the victim and the perpetrator. Through [main character(s)], the author skillfully navigates the delicate balance between empathy and accountability, offering readers a nuanced understanding of human nature and the capacity for change.

The artistry of the manga is also noteworthy, with beautifully rendered illustrations that capture the subtleties of emotion and expression. From moments of quiet reflection to intense confrontations, every panel is infused with depth and meaning, enhancing the overall impact of the story.

Moreover, "Silent Voice" tackles important social issues such as disability and mental health with sensitivity and insight. By giving voice to characters who are often marginalized or misunderstood, the narrative fosters empathy and encourages readers to reflect on their own attitudes and behaviors towards others.

In conclusion, "Silent Voice" is a powerful and thought-provoking work that leaves a profound impression on its audience. With its compelling characters, poignant storytelling, and thoughtfully crafted artwork, it's a manga that transcends its genre, resonating with readers long after the final page is turned.
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Shahida Anwar wrote: 10 May 2024, 04:45 "Silent Voice" is a poignant and deeply moving story that delves into themes of redemption, forgiveness, and the power of communication. At its core, the narrative follows the journey of [main character(s)], exploring the complexities of bullying, guilt, and the impact of one's actions on others.

One of the most striking aspects of "Silent Voice" is its raw and authentic portrayal of the emotional turmoil experienced by both the victim and the perpetrator. Through [main character(s)], the author skillfully navigates the delicate balance between empathy and accountability, offering readers a nuanced understanding of human nature and the capacity for change.

The artistry of the manga is also noteworthy, with beautifully rendered illustrations that capture the subtleties of emotion and expression. From moments of quiet reflection to intense confrontations, every panel is infused with depth and meaning, enhancing the overall impact of the story.

Moreover, "Silent Voice" tackles important social issues such as disability and mental health with sensitivity and insight. By giving voice to characters who are often marginalized or misunderstood, the narrative fosters empathy and encourages readers to reflect on their own attitudes and behaviors towards others.

In conclusion, "Silent Voice" is a powerful and thought-provoking work that leaves a profound impression on its audience. With its compelling characters, poignant storytelling, and thoughtfully crafted artwork, it's a manga that transcends its genre, resonating with readers long after the final page is turned.
I think you read a different book than I did. Mine was called “Silent Voices” and it was not a manga. It was a non-fiction book about disabled seniors.
- Once On This Island

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”