Review of The Songwriters Bible

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Deception by Loretta Enright

Review of The Songwriters Bible

Post by Kendal Low »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Songwriters Bible" by Stephen Daniels.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Music lovers will feel like they’ve hit the jackpot when they come across this incredible and unique book. Stephen Daniels has spent, presumably, a huge amount of time compiling a list of each musical artist to have appeared on the Billboard Hot 100 and the Top 50 UK charts from the year 1952 to the turn of the century. Not only does it provide a brief biography of each artist, but it also includes lists of when and where each of their songs ranked on the abovementioned charts. The Songwriters Bible: The Greatest Songwriters of the 20th Century by Stephen Daniels is exactly what it says it is: an account of the greatest songwriters of the last century.

While I enjoyed reading the book and learning an abundance of musical history facts, the book was rife with errors. I found more than ten in the first 18 pages alone. I strongly believe it would benefit from a few rounds of meticulous editing. Additionally, I wasn’t a fan of how the author presented information at times. All the musicians’ achievements were very list-heavy, and I believe it would increase readability to present it as more of a cohesive paragraph.

That being said, it is evident just how much time, care, and passion this author put into his work. It is a massively impressive feat to compile accurate and fact-checked information that spans half a century. I have a vast amount of respect for him, and I hope he is successful with the following volumes in this series. While the book’s length may seem intimidating, it is a quick and easy read.

So, as a result of my criticisms, I am unable to give this book a perfect rating. However, because of the sheer amount of passion and time that went into crafting this book, and because I found it incredibly interesting, enjoyable, and informative, I will comfortably rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

This really is a very interesting concept for a book, and I would recommend it to all music enthusiasts interested in the history of the greats. I believe the thorough knowledge provided in the pages of this book will leave them satisfied, impressed, and informed.

The Songwriters Bible
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mercy Bolo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mercy Bolo »

As a music lover, I commend the author's efforts and I would like to read his compilation of great songwriters. I'm impressed that the list goes back to 1952. I would like to learn more about the music of that era.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”