Review of The Elusive Flash of Lightning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: 2394 'Mirrors of the Past' by P. Roscoe

Review of The Elusive Flash of Lightning

Post by Obc Contentor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elusive Flash of Lightning" by Paul V Young.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"The Elusive Flash of Lightning" by Paul V. Young is a non-fictional story that delves into the relentless quest of humans to seek wealth at any cost, often leading to greed, betrayal, mistrust, compromised integrity, and blind hope. The story is narrated by Paul Young, who embarks on a journey to Australia with only a few months left until his 18th birthday, accompanied by a total stranger named Daryl. Daryl, a miner who had severed ties with his former partner due to a lack of trust and financial issues, instills hope in Paul by promising to strike his own fortune in opal mining, displaying perseverance and a "never say die" attitude. Despite the potential consequences of their actions, including betraying the trust of others, both Daryl and Paul are driven by their unwavering belief in their path to success. Paul, initially a young and innocent boy, quickly learns the harsh realities of life at Lightning Ridge, where valuable opals are unearthed. His first lesson comes when he accidentally stumbles upon opals while mining with Daryl, realizing the potential value of their discovery. Opals, akin to unpolished diamonds, hold the promise of wealth but also reveal the darker aspects of human nature as individuals pursue riches at any cost.

The narrative effectively captures the tension between ambition and integrity, as well as the harsh realities that accompany the quest for success. Additionally, Paul's journey of self-discovery and his ultimate realization about the true meaning of life provide a poignant and thought-provoking conclusion. The story's depth and insight into human nature make it a compelling read, with its vivid depiction of characters facing moral dilemmas amidst the backdrop of opal mining in Australia.

I appreciate the valuable life lessons imparted by this book. It compels us to reconsider the fundamentals of achieving success in life. Another aspect of the story that I found intriguing is its portrayal of human interaction, characterized by simplicity and a disregard for social barriers or distinctions. This aspect adds richness to the narrative and underscores the universal themes explored throughout the novel.

Conversely, while I understand that my dislike of the heavy drinking depicted in the novel may be subjective and a matter of personal opinion, I feel it could limit the book's appeal to a wider audience. Although it could mean the true story is presented sincerely, the author could have considered addressing the theme of drunkenness with sensitivity for readers who may find it off-putting. However, from an objective standpoint, I would still rate the book 5 out of 5 stars.

The layout of the content is well-organized, and the writing style enhances the book's accessibility and readability. In terms of recommendation, the novel is suitable for readers aged 16 and above, as it provides valuable insights into decision-making and navigating life's paths before embarking on them. This age recommendation ensures that the themes and lessons presented in the book are understood and appreciated by a mature audience.

The Elusive Flash of Lightning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mercy Bolo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-bolo.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Mercy Bolo »

Although the author explores dark themes like greed and alcoholism, I like that this is a nonfiction story. Readers will have a first-hand experience of life in the Australian mining industry.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”