Review of When Sons Return Home

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Battle of Culture by Panigrahi Bethi

Review of When Sons Return Home

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When Sons Return Home" by John B Murray, Sr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Within the pages of When Sons Return Home, John B. Murray Sr. talks about a 45-minute experience that changed his life forever. He had just returned home from the army and decided to attend a football game happening at the high school he attended. He was rolling a joint when the police arrested him and took him to jail. When he got out, he resolved to never go to jail and gave his life to Christ. Using the popular parable of the prodigal son in the scriptures, John preaches on setting boundaries as a Christian leader, repentance, forgiveness, and what he described as "the older brother syndrome."

The parable of the prodigal son contains vital lessons and nuggets essential for our spiritual growth as Christians that are not made plain in the parable. This book serves as an interpretation tool or a guidebook of some sort, exposing these lessons and making them readily accessible for harvest by eager Christians seeking to enrich their spiritual lives. 

Through the critical analysis of the parable by the author, readers learn that free will has been given to all men by God, but leaders in households should love their families enough to set boundaries. The home of the prodigal son was a godly home before he left, and the same was true after he returned home. The standards of holiness and godliness were never compromised. At some point, we all leave God's embrace. What is important at the end of the day is that we return home to God's love, mercy, and grace. As John rightly stated in this book, there is no limit to love in Christianity. Though we left, God has always been waiting with arms outstretched, ready to receive us back.

The book also chastises the Pharisees amongst us. People who believe that they are righteous and deserving of God's favor, just like the older son in the parable of the prodigal son, know that no one is perfect. We are all sinners, undeserving of God's grace. We should not exploit our goodness over God's grace. 

I found errors in the book, and that is the only thing I dislike about it. The book was not professionally edited. For this reason, I deduct a star, and I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend it to people struggling with repentance or parents struggling with forgiveness. I also recommend it to Christians looking to improve the quality of their spiritual lives.

When Sons Return Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

I knew when I read the title of this book, that'll have links to the Bible prodigal son scripture, God can call you through various ways like he did to the author.
Bernard Ndubuisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Bernard Ndubuisi »

God's Love knows no boundaries for as many that have accepted Him as Lord and savior.
I believe that same Love never depart from us even when we fall out of grace.
Aside from the errors, I feels the author has done a great job.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”