Review of All I Ever Wanted to Be Was An Ad Man

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Conversations with a Sage by Rand Law

Review of All I Ever Wanted to Be Was An Ad Man

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All I Ever Wanted to Be Was An Ad Man" by Anyhony Eglin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Mr. Brixton stopped, placed my essay quietly on his desk, and looked directly at me with a benign smile. “You’re not a bad storyteller, Eglin,” he said. “But your eyes are too close together.” The entire class burst into laughter. I found myself chuckling, too.
–Anthony Eglin
To get the context and find yourself laughing out loud, you have to read this amazing, gripping book, All I Ever Wanted to Be Was An Ad Man by Anthony Eglin. An excellent author, like a seasoned orator, can seamlessly transition between different topics and themes without the audience noticing it. Anthony has mastered this art, and I am thrilled to have read this book.

Starting from his childhood in England during the Second World War, he reveals the impact of the war on ordinary citizens, particularly on children like himself. It was amusing to read that, among the terrible things brought about by the war, he blamed Hitler for making them endure cod liver oil as children. Reflecting on WWII, the author laments the little attention history receives in our era, especially concerning this war.

However, two things that define Anthony Eglin’s life in this memoir are advertising and gardening. Writing, another important element of the book, arose from his passion for gardening. Before reading this book, I had not encountered much about advertising in the latter half of the twentieth century, especially before the 1990s. In advertising, I would describe the author as a disruptor—someone who, after gathering sufficient data, does not fear change. He turned down numerous opportunities outside advertising, determined to follow the unique path he had chosen. Wherever he worked, changes would come, and sales would go up. Some changes involved altering advertising formats, while others broadened target groups, such as increasing focus on the youth market, for instance, at Hastings.

One important lesson from Anthony for those in advertising is to always relate to the audience and relay the right messages. Nevertheless, this book is more than advertising, gardening, and writing. It is also packed with the author’s experiences in cycling and music and his fascination with automobiles and antiques. I admire Anthony for always considering his family when making important decisions. Undoubtedly, there is something for every reader.

What I enjoy most about the book are the twists and turns. It is rare to find this in memoirs, making it even more fascinating. Several times, the author describes an incident that leads you to anticipate one outcome, only to surprise you with another. One such instance was an exclusive offer to run a beach hotel from Al Jaroff, whom they met when they decided to stop there on their way back to Canada. These twists are not just surprising but also enhance Anthony’s unique storytelling approach. I am delighted that he shares his story so masterfully and wholeheartedly. Owing to minor errors, I rate All I Ever Wanted to Be Was An Ad Man four out of five stars. Were it not for these errors, the book would warrant a perfect rating, as I found every aspect exceptional and nothing to dislike.

All I Ever Wanted to Be Was An Ad Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t especially enjoy memoirs, but Mr.Elgin seems to have an ability to convey his experiences and express himself. I am sorry for the errors that you found. They distract from even the best books. Thanks!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”