Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Taiwo Faith 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Taiwo Faith 24 »

This memoir is full of inspirations, hope and motivation. It explains better about when there is life there is hope. Pushing through every struggle life brought to him and still he overcame. This is what i can refer to as best. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars
:) :D :hand:
Towfiq Juma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-towfiq-juma.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Towfiq Juma »

Despite facing numerous challenges throughout his life, Dr. Douglas remained dedicated to his goals and was able to achieve remarkable success in his field.However, it was disheartening to learn that even in this day and age, racism still persists and affects individuals from all walks of life. Dr. Douglas's experiences serve as a reminder of the importance of advocating for diversity and inclusion, and working towards a more equitable and just society.
Goodness Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-azuka.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Goodness Azuka »

Being a victim of tribalism, I can only imagine the magnitude and intensity of racism. I'm only glad that it didn't suppress Dr. Doughlas' zeal for excellent. Nice review. Congratulations on winning BOTD.
Triciat50
Favorite Book: The Luminaries
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-triciat50.html
Latest Review: The Miracle of Ramadan by Wassim Hijazi

Post by Triciat50 »

I am not normally draw to biographies, but after reading your review I read an excerpt from the book and I was fascinated. Even in thee short segments, the authors writing style shines. This seems to be the story of a life well lived, overcoming numerous obstacles. Thank you for the review.
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Considering the author's arrival time at the US, I have no doubts his experience of life has been challenging. There have been so many key moments in fighting racism from the 1960s til today. Some bad and some good, hopefully little by little we will eradicate this issue for good.
Nube Vargas
Favorite Author: Andrew Tweeddale
Currently Reading: Discovering Twins
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nube24.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
fav_author_id: 247480

Post by Nube Vargas »

Although I would prefer that such tales did not exist, many individuals do. Most immigrants who travel to other parts of the world in search of pleasant experiences encounter discrimination. Excellent subject.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I like reading memoirs especially a story of success against all odds. I am pro underdog and it is heartening and heartbreaking at the same time to read stories like this. Racism is really an issue anywhere you go. Thank you for your review!
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

Interesting book review. Congrats on making it to the book of the day.
Salome Ndichu
Currently Reading: Until All the Gods Return
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ndichu.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Salome Ndichu »

Dr.Douglas is resilient, this book reminds me of Think Big although the strife in this case comes from external issues but in the end Dr.Douglas achieved. Racial profiling is beginning to become hardwired in our systems even though there are measures put against it.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.”

Walt Disney,
Chinasa Deborah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinasa-deborah.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chinasa Deborah »

This memoir is instructive and fascinating. Dr. Douglas never wavered in his commitment to his objectives in the face of countless obstacles throughout his life. It provides more clarity on the idea that there is hope when there is life. 
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

With such an interesting book, and with such a good review, I had to add this one to my list. I have read the sample and, as you said, the author doesn’t restrain himself from being absolutely honest with his feelings and thoughts. So inspiring.
Elize Vermaak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elize-vermaak.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Elize Vermaak »

I am going to pass on this book simply because I don’t read memoirs. But I have to say that it is good to see that the hardships didn’t stop Dr. Douglas from pursuing his dreams and helping his community.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I read some great memoirs before and I believe this book will be one of them. I'm interested in how Dr. Douglas would presevere against all odds. Thanks for the review.
Fergie Jess Edeni
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie-jess-edeni.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Fergie Jess Edeni »

It sounds like a heartbreaking yet inspirational book. Everyone has the right to higher education, and no one should be denied a promotion because of their race. I'm very delighted the author continued to pursue his goals in the face of all those challenges. Congratulations on BOTD!
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

It is sad to know about the discrimination faced by the author. But the courage that he showed in facing these troubles is inspiring to others. This book is indeed an eye opener for everyone.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”