Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adekeye Hassan musab
Currently Reading: My Other Half
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekeye-hassan-musab.html
Latest Review: The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Adekeye Hassan musab »

Sounds like an inspiring book to read. The issue of ethnicity has been a battle which has made even soldiers weary. I am sure he overcame all the odds stacked against him. Thanks for the inspiring review.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

I am very much interested in following the author's reflections on racial discrimination and seeing how he rose through the obstacles he faced in his career. Congrats on BOTD.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

It's disheartening reading about the depth of pains, anguish, and frustrations social ills like racial discrimination can cause in the lives of the victims. Frank Douglas's memoir capture these and more. I hope this memoir contributes in changing our perceptions for the better and leading to the creation of a society free from discrimination and oppression.
Tosin Le
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tosin-le.html
Latest Review: The BLACK BOTTOM by Theo Czuk

Post by Tosin Le »

Racial discrimination isn't something that anyone would love to experience. Douglas really had a tough time coping with it. I hope he was able to pull through from it. Racial discriminationon needs to stop. Thanks for sharing.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

You mean 'He does NOT tiptoe around major issues...’, right? Anyway, it's an interesting review. You mention the inclusion of technical details, which is something I was worried about, but I'm drawn to the book by the coverage of institutionalised racism.
Faith Stacy Leon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-stacy-leon.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Faith Stacy Leon »

I commend the writer's braveness in aharing his memoir. At that time, he must have been excite of coming to the US for his studies, but however got disappointed with the racial discrimination. People need to start advocacating against racial didcrimination. Congrats on BOTD.
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

Hope is very important in life, as it supplies us with enough energy to keep on grinding towards our goals regardless of how bad the present situation might be. Douglas faces ups and downs but was determined to succeed, and his hard work earns him a scholarship. Another phase entered with another set of obstacles.
Sargam Talreja
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sargam-talreja.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Sargam Talreja »

The book raises pertinent concerns about how racism persists in modern society. However, it is encouraging to observe how the author's ambition and resilience much outweigh these challenges. superb review.
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

A very challenging life for Douglas, having facing a lot of ups and downs, including unprecedented racism.
I'm glad he overcame eventually.
Congrats on the BOTD.
pbrown7r
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by pbrown7r »

A Great read !!! Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream is a powerful and poignant collection of autobiographical essays by Dr. Frank L. Douglas. This book is a moving reflection on Dr. Douglas's life journey, from growing up in poverty and racial discrimination in Guyana to becoming a successful scientist and businessman in America.

Through his deeply personal and honest accounts, Dr. Douglas shares the defining moments of his life that shaped his worldview, values, and beliefs. He discusses the challenges he faced as a black man in a white-dominated world, including the racism he encountered in his professional and personal life.

However, despite the obstacles he faced, Dr. Douglas remained resilient and determined to achieve his dreams. His story is a testament to the power of hard work, perseverance, and faith.

What makes this book truly special is Dr. Douglas's ability to weave together his personal experiences with universal themes of identity, race, class, and culture. His words are insightful, inspiring, and thought-provoking.

Overall, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream is a must-read for anyone interested in personal growth, overcoming adversity, and understanding the complexities of race and identity in America. Dr. Douglas's story is a reminder that we all have the power to create our own destiny, no matter our circumstances.
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I enjoyed reading this review. The positive and negative aspects were properly outlined. It highlights the good job the reviewer did. I recommend this book to all.
Emmanuel chinelo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-chinelo.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Emmanuel chinelo »

:tiphat:
Rafaella Michailidou wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 08:03 It's horrible how racism is still a thing nowadays. More people should read books like this one to realize how hard is life for some people for no particular reason. This book is a great example of how people still judge people by the color of their skin. I'm not an African American and still, I think this treatment is unfair, all people are equal, the sooner everyone realizes that the better. Thank you for your review, I'm glad there're books like that in the world.
abderrahman El achari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abderrahman-el-achari.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 33
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by abderrahman El achari »

The journey undertaken by the author of the book “Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream,” Dr. Frank L Douglas, from British Guiana to the United States of America, was not easy. Rather, it was fraught with many obstacles, difficulties, and suffering, the most notable of which he experienced since he was a student at Cornell University’s Medical College. Even in his professional career as a doctor, he was subjected to racial discrimination, and he was deprived of many of his rights because of his color and ethnic affiliation. The book is worth reading and contains many surprises. Good review. :tiphat:
my regards
Mia_Edwards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia-edwards.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Mia_Edwards »

Rafaella Michailidou wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 08:03 It's horrible how racism is still a thing nowadays. More people should read books like this one to realize how hard is life for some people for no particular reason. This book is a great example of how people still judge people by the color of their skin. I'm not an African American and still, I think this treatment is unfair, all people are equal, the sooner everyone realizes that the better. Thank you for your review, I'm glad there're books like that in the world.
I agree with Rafaella. It's terrible that racism is still prevalent in the world today. 2024! I am African American and the distinction between the book and real life is not too far off. That's said to say based on the fact the book takes place in the 1960s and I am living in 2024, the same issues exist. This review was so well put and I am so glad that there are readers out there who make themselves aware of different ways of living, regardless of race, gender, age, and so forth.
Mia_Edwards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia-edwards.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Mia_Edwards »

Ochieng Omuodo wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 03:41 You mean 'He does NOT tiptoe around major issues...’, right? Anyway, it's an interesting review. You mention the inclusion of technical details, which is something I was worried about, but I'm drawn to the book by the coverage of institutionalised racism.
Very well put! I could not agree with you more and I was drawn to the book for the same reason. I just said in my previous posts that I was glad that there are readers out there who make themselves socially aware of the world outside of what they know. Yes, they may never understand, but I think the first step is gaining awareness. It's weird that I'm saying this about a book that was set in the 1960s, but these are the issues that we are still facing to this day.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”