Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rifaul Marifah Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Rifaul Marifah Yusuf »

The book begins describing a black man journey from Africa to the U.S. and the author excelled in every endeavor, despite major racial obstacles, even at the top of his profession. It is sad when one's professionalism is questioned, not because of performance, but the mere color of his skin. What I found even more interesting was he faced racial obstacles abroad where racism is not as prevelant as in America. Because of his profound intellect, he offered readers strategies that will assist, especially people of color in the workplace today by being prepared for certain behaviors (racism, jealously, envy, refusal and denial).
Kelsey Roy
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-roy.html
Latest Review: Not What Meets the Eye by Matrika Hay

Post by Kelsey Roy »

It’s horrifying to think about how prevalent racial discrimination still is today. I’m glad to hear the author does not tiptoe around these tough topics, but takes a firm stance. Thanks for your detailed review!
Hai-tesuka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hai-tesuka »

It's hard to be an African American because you have black skin they will bully you but good for Dr Douglas he have perseverance.
Kenneth Onyenwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

"Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas is a book that as to address racism and inequality in the society using personal experiences. Great book!
Umida Kholmatova
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umida-kholmatova.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Umida Kholmatova »

I love realism. I will definitely read the book and hope will write a review for it.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Post by Medina Fedrick »

I love memoirs because they are a way of encouraging those who might be going through the same thing as the author. Dr. Douglas's story is an inspiring and motivational one, and I admire his strength because he not only had to deal with poverty, but also had to endure racial discrimination. Congrats on BOTD!!
Emeka Charles 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-charles-1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Emeka Charles 1 »

Congrats on being BOTD. I am not a lover of memoirs so I will not be reading this book.
Oju Olusegun Sunday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oju-olusegun-sunday.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Oju Olusegun Sunday »

This is one of the books that captured explicitly the racial discrimination effects because of one's skin. Dr Douglas persevered despite all obstacles on his way from achieving his dreams. The lesson from the book is that with hardwork and determination you can achieve whatever you set your mind to achieve. The reviewer of this has done a great job. Weldone and congratulations to the author for the efforts in putting his ideas and experiences in the public domain for others to learn from it.
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

It's really sad what happens with racism and the additional obstacles people have to jump through in life. It's great that Dr Douglas has included many of his own experiences and research to highlight these issues. Thanks for a great review!
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Excellent review! Dr. Douglas surely had a strong and focused purpose in writing this book about his experiences coming to the United States during this era. The violence and turbulence connected to racism and the leadership and inspiration of Dr. King were astonishing, but many people like myself lived a relatively sheltered youth during those times. I think this book is important today, not only to remind us of what took place but to allow us to realize that we have not yet conquered racism today.
Bëthranđ Çhibuikë
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-thrand-hibuik.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Bëthranđ Çhibuikë »

Racism obviously a better topic to talk about.
The book tries as much to hint on how dominant racism have remained, the negativities that accompanies it and also the little favours it draws.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Donna Walker »

I can't even get my head around the rampant racism in America. "Americans who were free but have not achieved independence." Nice summary right there. Great review, but definitely not. my cup of tea.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

While this memoir is going to be bringing things to the front of my awareness of systemic racism and other issues, it is time or past time for transparency and resolution to be able to move toward King's I have a dream. Each person needs to continue to learn and to grow. In reading this review I realized how important it is that all people learn of such systemic ideologies and find a way to bring about change. The review has made it clear that things in this memoir will be hard to hear but ned to reach the light with hope of change. Thank you for your excellent review of a very timely book.
Chinedu Vibex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedu-vibex.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Chinedu Vibex »

So bad for doglas to experience a horrible situation called racism, but what I like most is the fact that despite everything he always served his community,all thanks to the author for this wonderful book
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

I feel like this book could hold a unique quality if the author is 'tiptoeing' around other potential major issues, in order to take a clear stance on his opinions. Discrimination and prejudice against minority groups continue to be pervasive issues in our world, despite progress in some areas. I feel that books like this one are important not only to convey the idea that anyone can be successful if they utilize their intelligence and courage to keep getting back up after every fall, but also to push back against discrimination and promote inclusion. Thank you for a great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”