Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelly Caetano
Currently Reading: Altered Carbon
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelly-caetano.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Shelly Caetano »

This particular theme and style (memoirs) don’t really appeal to me. I see it is the book of the month for July so I may have it a go. Thanks for your review!
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

This looks like an inspiring message of courage in the face of poverty, unfairness and racial bias. The author's life story shows how much tenacity was required to achieve success in science, medicine and leadership. Few have overcome so many challenges, and fewer yet have done so with both strength of character and principles intact. This is awesome. Thanks
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The life struggle of Dr. Douglas for a better career despite facing ethnic discrimination sounds interesting.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The author immigrated to the US from British Guiana after he landed a scholarship. In this book, he narrates his experience with racism across prestigious institutions and reflects on the culture shock.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr. Frank L. Douglas is an inspirational #Memoir that chronicles the author's journey from growing up in poverty to developing drugs that fight diabetes, seizures, and cancer. He triumphed over poverty and racial discrimination as a black man. Most of all, he became a preeminent scientist.

Thanks for the review.

#NonFiction #Passion #Race #Ethnicity 
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that the book highlights on a scourge that has plagued humankind for eons. The perceiving of other men as inferior due to the presence or lack of melanin in their skin. Only love can heal this pervasiveness of mental slavery. Nice review.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

This looks like a truly inspirational memoir that tackles challenging topics such as identity issues, political dynamics in British Guiana, or racial discrimination in the U.S. Congratulations to the author for staying on the right path and proving that truth and values should ultimately matter. Thanks for a great review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Han26+
Currently Reading: The DC Comics Encyclopedia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han26.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Han26+ »

Not being a fan of memoirs, I’m going to pass on this book (mainly because reading about instances of racism (and sexism, while we’re at it) gets me too riled to enjoy what I’m reading.) It’s hateful that human beings are still prejudiced in this time period.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The author's journey through obstacles to achieve what he wanted in his career sounds fascinating. I'm also interested in his experiences with racial discrimination.
Tirtharaj
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirtharaj.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Tirtharaj »

Such a collectible memoir. Instantly became close to my heart although I didn’t go through the ethnic struggles Dr. Frank went through. The pages of this autobiography of struggle, frustration, pain and gradual unfolding of a highly successful and fulfilling academic and personal life will truly inspire anyone aspiring in personal growth and success. His struggle was worth it. Dr. Frank was very reflective, introspective and inquisitive as was his thirst to chase, live and breathe in justice. Meeting with Moms, Miss Bacchus and several generous others came at moments in his life which truly live the title “Defining moments of free man from a black stream.”
I personally recommend having this book in the autobiography section of your prized bookshelves.
My warm and best regards to the author, Dr. Frank Douglas.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Based on the author's real life experiences, this book shines a light on real grave issues in our society. I like that the author is direct and personal in documenting his experiences. Thank you for this amazing review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
BecWebb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BecWebb »

I can't begin to imagine the horror of suffering racism, so it's so important that books like this exist to teach us people's experiences so that we can all try to learn something from it.
It was fascinating to learn of Dr Douglas's childhood which seemed hard enough, to then go on to schooling and university and have to fight and prove himself there. I was glad to be reading of his perseverance and overcoming of the many obstacles he faced.
Memoirs aren't really my thing normally, but it was an interesting and thought-provoking read all the same, and like I said, we should all make ourselves aware of such issues of the past and of today (sadly).
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I am glad that the author is sharing his experiences, accomplishments, and the culture shock he went through coming to the U.S. I can't imagine being discriminated against the way the author has been, and hopefully by discussing these problems and making them so visible that no one can ignore it, we can start to make significant progress in that area again. Besides, I just like reading other people's success stories and their struggles while trying to get where they are today. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Jonievogt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jonievogt »

This is a voice for the ugliness that is our world. Racism and the hardships that are still prevolent today. It's around every corner and people don't stop to think of the struggles and hard work out into making it back then and now. I think this is simply amazing. I will be reading this book.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I liked the fact that the author had the fortitude to weather the difficult childhood by growing up not knowing his father, and even worked hard to obtain a scholarship. Racism also didn’t stop him from pursuing his dreams. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”