Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: This Is Your Last Warning
Bookshelf Size: 643
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by mrlefty0706 »

"Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr. Frank L. Douglas is a well written memoir of a man born in British Guiana that moved to the U.S. for his college and medical school education. He experienced culture shock and racial discrimination at levels he never expected. After medical school he joined the Johns Hopkins Hospital where he became a Clinical Research Associate and overcame many obstacles while building his career. An eye-opening story that should be read by all.
Sonia_Gonzalez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonia-gonzalez.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton

Post by Sonia_Gonzalez »

I am not interested in memoirs, they usually are not for me. I hate living in a world where society keeps discriminating and where people need to share their stories about struggle and difficulty to make some people open their eyes.
MMcB
Favorite Book: Island of Missing Trees
Currently Reading: The Elephant(s) in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmcb.html
Latest Review: Ungraduated by Ken Hannaman
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by MMcB »

"Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas, a memoir that speaks about the trials and triumphs of the author. From racial discrimination and poverty he forged a successful career and life. The sample of the book and the review combine to make this a very attractive read. All our best to the courageous author and hopes for his continued success.
If you're going through hell, keep going.
~ Sir Winston Churchill
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Super-Delicious Mediterranean Diet Cookbook For Beginners by Janet Evans

Post by Chris Agbara »

Racism has remained a challenge in our society. I do hope one day we will over this menace, great review by the way.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Super-Delicious Mediterranean Diet Cookbook For Beginners by Janet Evans

Post by Chris Agbara »

I commend you for your insightful review and for highlighting the important themes of racial discrimination, personal and ethnic identity, and overcoming obstacles that are present in the memoir. I find the book attractive enough and will like to read it.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Calista Ngozi Uzokwe
Favorite Book: Madam Vice President
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calista-ngozi-uzokwe.html
Latest Review: Hold Your Breath by Rana Bitar

Post by Calista Ngozi Uzokwe »

This illuminating memoir is recommended for all readers, particularly those who may harbor discriminatory attitudes towards others on the basis of skin color. Nice review.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

Memoirs are a trip inside the writer's head. Dr. Douglas has a fascinating tale to tell. It amazes me that he managed to travel to the States, enroll in a university, and even publish a book! Superb review. Thanks.
Leonie Vermaak
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 609
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I cannot understand how people can't evolve past the racism and just except each person as they are, without adding a color into the mix. It's truly sad. I'm quite intrigued to read this. Thanks for a great review.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I believe that racial prejudice in higher education is still a significant problem today. I'm delighted Frank was so direct in exposing this. My "want to read" list will very surely include this. Thanks!
Omobolanle Shittu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-shittu.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Omobolanle Shittu »

Racism is a big deal and can make life's journey tedious if one doesn't strive to do the extra to show one's qualified for the role. This will be a great help to people suffering from culture shock, discrimination and racism. I'm happy he was able to make a success of the journey. Well done for this review.
uvnex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uvnex.html
Latest Review: On the Wings of Ideas by Gabriella Balcom

Post by uvnex »

Douglas does an incredible job drawing you in and bringing you emotionally closer to him and his experiences. The amount of detail he puts into every little thought he had, like the crabs not being able to escape the barrel, is very amusing. Even the short amount I was able to read in the preview took me on an emotional roller coaster. His memoir will continue to impact every person that reads it, specially given the ongoing problem of racism across the word. His memoir makes for an inspiring read.
Pretty Nicholas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretty-nicholas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Pretty Nicholas »

The truth remains that colour is not a crime. Across th globe, I think there should be an understanding that unity is the ultimate. This book is an amazing one. I look forward to reading this book. Mind-blowing review. Congratulations on BOTD.
Itee Law
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Itee Law »

This book is really a must read and an eye opener about Racism.I love the way Douglas did not allow himself to be limited by the Colour of his skin.
Grace Lee Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-lee-rose.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Grace Lee Rose »

I love this passionate and inspiring memoir of Douglas. I haven't been opportune to read this book, but I look forward to doing that. Thanks for the review.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by Damian Keyes »

Living through a racist society and experiencing culture shock to the highest degree, Dr. Frank L. Douglas’ has a story that should be viewed by all. Congrats to the author for having the BOTD.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”