Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Re: Featured Official Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream [July 2019 Book of the Month]

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

This is quite a motivating story. Upon all his headship, Douglas pressed on and was successful in achieving his goal. Congrats on getting the BOTD. It is indeed well deserved.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

Racial discrimination is unfair and it makes a person feel hopeless. I can't imagine denying a person promotion just because of his race/ethnicity. Living in United States must have been a very hard period for Douglas. I would love to know how he survived it all. Congratulations on BOTD.
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

I find this book informative. This book is also encouraging as one reads about Douglas's experiences and his sheer determination to build a career despite all the hate. Racism also is one of the major issues in the world and its eating everyone up. Great review. Congrats on being the BOTD.
Valeria Riveraa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-riveraa.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Valeria Riveraa »

In as much as this book maybe upsetting to some to read, I think it is inspiring. I love how Douglas strived in a new world, regardless of how he was being treated. His determination did bring him far, and it is an attribute everyone should master. Congratulations on BOTD!
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

Memoirs take the reader on a psychological journey. A fascinating anecdote is told by Dr. Douglas. His decision to travel to the US, enroll in a university, and even produce a book is astonishing to me. Wonderful review. Congratulations for capturing the BOTD!
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

I'm happy to know that the author is still able to rise up against racial discrimination as an African American man. His career as a doctor isn't a guarantee to avoid that ethnic discrimination. His memoir is a proof that colored skin people isn't safe even up to these days. 
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

This book is a very interesting one and one that gives hope to peoples who might be going through a lot, especially racism. The author lived above all odds and he made it.
Deva dharshini
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deva-dharshini.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Deva dharshini »

Racial discrimination of students travelling abroad is true and somebody has to talk about it. Looks like a must read book to me.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

I like memoirs like this. Douglas let us into his struggles while growing up just because he is a black man. I found this educative and eye-opening. Racism is a thing that shouldn't exist in the first place. But now, we need to take it off.
FunkyFlowerLady
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-funkyflowerlady.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by FunkyFlowerLady »

Memoirs are a trip inside the writer's head. Dr. Douglas has a fascinating tale to tell. It amazes me that he was able to travel to the US, attend a university, and even have a book published! Superb review. Thanks.
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: I Am~The product of the mentally ill lonely monster~My journal by Brandy J Rex

Post by Maliha Naveed »

I can absolutely relate to the author in that I have also faced racism at my workplace. Moreover, I am also about to embark on the journey of studying abroad. Dr. L. Douglas’s experiences will definitely help me coping with the issues of racial discrimination. I will definitely grab the copy to get the hope and courage in the circumstances I am about to encounter.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

Racism exists everywhere. But I like tye focus of this memoir written by Dr Douglas; the academics and the business environments. I salute the grit Douglas possess to wade through these challenges. Kudos to the reviewer.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

It's often easy to forget the levels of racial discrimination in the world outside our little bubbles at home. It's devastating what the author had to go through and I truly hope racism can disappear in the future.
Precious Anavheoba
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

This book gives one a lot to talk about. The author's experience with racism just shows the reality of the prevalence of 'diseases' such as itself manifest in our society. I'm also glad that his story gives hope. Kudos to the author.
Nanin
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chobitpatience.html
Latest Review: Adventures with Pop Pop at Grant’s Farm by Warren Martin

Post by Nanin »

Racism is one thing that I will never understand. I love that the author has chosen to share his experience through this. To deny that the color of your skin determines your course in life is ignorance. Can't wait to read it. Congrats on BOTD.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”