Zia Lennox, is she a sexaholic?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Zia Lennox, is she a sexaholic?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Peace Chux wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 20:48 Zia seemed oblivious to those things because of the deficit in her social and personal life. Her sexual life however was not the case. While calling her sexaholic is a tad too far, I would say instead that she had a really active sexual life and is not afraid to go after what she wants.
She never had a social life. So we can assume that she never had an adventurous sexual life. Though there are mentionings about some of her relationships she was socially and sexually aawkward before. But she suddenly became a very sexually confident woman and was brave enough to simply ditch her lover and go to another one to fulfill her bodily desires. So if she was not sexaholic then the author should have lost the grip of the story and he has suddenly changed Zia's character qualities.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Dustin Stopher wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 14:38 I wouldn’t say she’s a sexaholic. While she definitely enjoys sex (as most people do), she’s not consumed by her sexual desires. She maintains her relationship with Bryce despite a lack of sexual intimacy for a long period of time, and when she does cheat on him for Baxter, she was never the one initiating the sex. On numerous occasions, her sex with him was a result of her trying to break things off or keeping him from hurting her, to which he responded by taking advantage of her sexually. All things considered, though she may internalize the guilt of having an affair, her sexual forays are not entirely or even primarily her fault.
It is true that she was not the one who started all sexual encounters with Baxter. But we have to keep in mind that it was she who turned towards Baxter when she did not get the required sexual satisfaction from Bryce. So despite whatever happened later I would rather say she was consumed by her sexual desires, at least at the beginning of the relationship with Baxter.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

malik khaizran wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 02:35 Zia, our protagonist easily entangled in a love triangle. Both her lovers had dark secrets to which she was oblivious. At often times she missed to see the obvious things. She was blinded with the erotic experiences she had and could not penetrate through and see the real character of her lover. But before that she just had one friend, Jazz,  and Jazz had to drag Zia to get socialized with her co-workers.

She missed obvious things because she is living a normal working women's life. We are the ones who are reading a thrilling murder mystery, things that are obvious to us are because we are taking hints from the writer. She is just living her life.
I agree with you,we are looking at her through author's writing and he makes it seem like she is missing out and is some kind of sex addict but that's a normal working woman's life, minus all that sex though 😉
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I think Zia is a sexually liberated woman with the libido to back her up. She owns her sexuality and does not limit herself. Do I think she is a sexaholic? No. She enjoys it and embraces that. She yearns for love and care and maybe that yearning is what gets her into a mess.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

It seems Zia fell into an entanglement because she just wanted love and care. Some people express their love and fondness through sex. I think Zia is the same. The fact that her sexual desire is at a high does not mean she is dangerously addicted to sex. She is merely enjoying it.
Sushan Ekanayake

Fahad Baibras wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 01:21
malik khaizran wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 02:35 Zia, our protagonist easily entangled in a love triangle. Both her lovers had dark secrets to which she was oblivious. At often times she missed to see the obvious things. She was blinded with the erotic experiences she had and could not penetrate through and see the real character of her lover. But before that she just had one friend, Jazz,  and Jazz had to drag Zia to get socialized with her co-workers.

She missed obvious things because she is living a normal working women's life. We are the ones who are reading a thrilling murder mystery, things that are obvious to us are because we are taking hints from the writer. She is just living her life.
I agree with you,we are looking at her through author's writing and he makes it seem like she is missing out and is some kind of sex addict but that's a normal working woman's life, minus all that sex though 😉
She was never a normal working woman. She made herself into a workaholic to supress and hide her anxiety issue. Only Jazz knew about that apart from her family members. Relationship with Bryce changed her and then that workaholic nature converted into a sexaholic nnature in my opinion. Then she went too far by even cheating on Bryce. She was definitely not a normal working woman, and her behaviours cannot be taken as normal and fair at all.
Sushan Ekanayake

Nqobile771 wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 01:37 I think Zia is a sexually liberated woman with the libido to back her up. She owns her sexuality and does not limit herself. Do I think she is a sexaholic? No. She enjoys it and embraces that. She yearns for love and care and maybe that yearning is what gets her into a mess.
She had lot of social issues because of her anxiety disorder, and among them was lack of acceptance and care too. She did not get that even from her family members. She was happy when she got all that love and care from Bryce, but a high libido came to her from nowhere and she needed Bryce to act accordingly. When he refused that, as you said, she misunderstood that for lack of care. So she sought for acceptance in the mean of sex from Baxter.
Sushan Ekanayake

Ntombifuthi Londi wrote: 30 Aug 2021, 03:34 It seems Zia fell into an entanglement because she just wanted love and care. Some people express their love and fondness through sex. I think Zia is the same. The fact that her sexual desire is at a high does not mean she is dangerously addicted to sex. She is merely enjoying it.
If she was merely enjoying sex she would have coaxed Bryce to have sex with her without going to another man. She needed sex a lot (maybe she did not see it as just sex, but as love and care) and that is why she got herself entangled in a live triangle. Having a high llibido is not abnormal. But driving your body and thoughts simply in a path to achieve sexual desires definitely makes her qualified to be a sexaholic.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I think words such as "sexaholic" when placed onto a woman do a tremendous amount of damage. This goes back to the whole notion that men can be as sexually active as they want, just as long as when they marry, they marry a virgin. This type of label is antiquated for Zia and anyone else who is sexually active. Her sexuality blossoms rather extensively when she meets Baxter, but, after all, this is fiction and the eroticism of the relationship is what makes the story.
Sushan Ekanayake

Maddie Atkinson wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 07:29
Sushan wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 19:45
Maddie Atkinson wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 07:51 Sex can be incredibly empowering for women, so I do not think that sexaholic is the correct word. She may be introverted but women like to have sex as much as men and if they are comfortable with someone then we are willing to let the introvertedness go and embrace our sexuality, even those who have social anxiety. I think that is more like what Zia's character is like, sexaholic is never really the correct term to describe anyone.
Zia was loved and respected by Bryce. He did not had sex with her but that was her choice, and Zia did not conveyed her needs to him as well. Maybe that was because of her anxiety. Yet she could overcome her anxiety and go towards Baxter to fulfill her sexual needs. Maybe that is not what sexaholics do. But that is not how sexually empowered female should act as well, by cheating her lover.
With all due respect, I think you need to do more research into what being sexaholic means, and also what sexual empowerment means for women. Men are not entitled to sex from women, if she said no then she said no. I can't remember everything from the book, but if she has sex with someone else that is her burden to bare. However, this is never seen as scandalous when men do the same. Control sex and sexuality is what sexual empowerment is for women.
There is no gender discrimination in this topic. If Bryce went to someone else because Zia refused to have sex with him, I would still say that is wrong. Anyone can control their own desires and decide to act upon what they feel and see as correct. Zia had that right too and she fully used that. What she forgot was her decisions are no more affecting only her but her lover, Bryce, as well. If she kept that in mind her sexual desires or the empowerment won't have done any harm.
Precious Lynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-lynn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Precious Lynn »

John Owen wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 22:29 It is either she has sex too frequently, or she loves sex. If the latter, she's absolutely sexaholic.
I do not think having a high sexual drive or loving sex makes a person a sexaholic. Zia enjoys her sexual and erotic indulgences, but I did not pick up on addiction. Remember a sexaholic is a person addicted to sex. I don't think Zia is addicted to sex.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

Enjoying sex does not make one a sexaholic. Being intimate is a completely different world from being socially introverted. There is a huge difference between interacting with a single person and interacting with a group of people. You can have crippling anxiety and still enjoy sex. Zia makes some poor choices, but she is not a sexaholic.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I know that I shouldn’t judge but every time I read about zia, I thought there way she liked sex was unnatural or abnormal so maybe I won’t say sexaholic but she’s probably got some issues.
Kyle Hylan-Corcoran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-hylan-corcoran.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kyle Hylan-Corcoran »

I dispute the idea that she is a sexaholic. Sex addiction, as a concept, is not something that many psychologists recognize as an actual condition. This is because how much sex is appropriate is subjective, beholden to societal biases, etc. It seems Zia instead has trouble discerning the character of her lovers, which has to do with emotional intelligence and maybe mental illness.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I don't think sexaholics would be the right word. I would call her lustful at the most. s readers, it was really easy for us to comprehend the entire storyline as a whole. But, from Zia's perspective, she is doing the right things. Also, she was emotionally bonded to both the other characters. So, I would not call Zia a sexaholic.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”