Overall rating and opinion of "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Obioma CM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obioma-cm.html
Latest Review: Higher Ground by Sophia Edwards-Bennett MD PhD

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold

Post by Obioma CM »

This book deserves the BOTM. How Gold tells his stories beats me and yes I enjoyed everything about this book. Also, it is because I long for well written romance novels. I would give this book a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I will recommend to people like me who enjoy well written romance novels.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

First off, I have to give Gold credit for keeping the reader interested. This may be the fastest I’ve read a book I was going to review. It kept me on my toes. I love a good mystery and this had that, romance, murder, and it’s fill of steamy scenes. I didn’t like how gratuitous the sex scenes were, but that goes with the genre. I definitely wouldn’t recommend anyone under 18 read it.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

This book absolutely deserves its place as a BOTM. It definitely grabs you from the first chapter, Zia's having anxiety issues and her relationship with her job, the fast pace in the narrative, and how all the events that come her way lead her to meet Bryce. It's the perfect balance of suspense and romance. Of course, I would absolutely recommend this book.
Raquel Sojo

Post by Raquel Sojo »

Arimart99 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 01:43
Shakiera Reece wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 23:25 This is a very well written book. It is captivating from the very first chapter. I liked how Zia and Bryce's relationship slowly takes off. From they first met in the elevator to that awkward vending machine incident. I like Zia's character. Having anxiety disorder, she reminds me so much of myself. I would highly recommend this book to persons looking for an enticing, mature read.
I also suffer from anxiety, and I immediately saw myself in Zia as well. I imagined myself acting the same way as her, especially in the first few pages - that's what enticed me to the book immediately. Usually, I'm not much into reading about love triangles, but I loved the added suspense. I would give it 4 out of 4 stars!
Oh I understand you both, suffering from anxiety is not easy, I identified with Zia because of her job, very similar to mine, and wow, when I read "crime and suspense" I thought I was not going to get hooked and on the contrary, I enjoyed the mix of this with the romance.
_Maduike
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Love
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduike.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by _Maduike »

I love a good erotica, and this book met all my expectations. What I love most about the book is how relatable Zia is. She is very flawed and has alot of internal conflict, plus her chronic anxiety; yet, she strives to overcome her challenges and achieve her goals. I think she is a protagonist many people can relate to.
oluwalonimi29
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwalonimi29.html
Latest Review: Radioland by m.e. Elzey

Post by oluwalonimi29 »

This book deserves the book of the month slot it got. Although I am not really a fan of romance novel, but reading the first chapter was the point of change for me. I appreciate the fact that the book is easy to relate with. For me there is nothing to dislike about the book as the book touch all spheres of our daily living. I am dating this book 4 out of 4 stars
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

This book truly deserves BOTM. The author is very versatile. She discussed so many relevant topics all the while making different twists and subplots. There some parts I didn't like, but it is shadowed by the great things I've read.
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

Post by Shannon Ruane »

I believe the writing style delt with erotic/intimate topics using mature language. It was not too vulgar or filled with childish language. I am glad crime was mixed into the story because it broke up the constantly erotic story. The ending I felt was ironic and more humourous than intended by the author. It was strangely clever how the girls "solved" the crime and Jazz is a hero. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars because the writing style was so good although there needed to be greater levels of balancing if a book is to include two genres within it (although I realize it is listed under only romance).
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I might be in the minority of people who did not care for this book. I rated in 2 out of 4 stars. Occasionally, I found some interesting dialogue and hoped I would change my mind but that did not happen. The characters were shallow and even though I love escaping into a story that would not normally happen in my own life, the storyline was a bit crazy. I can see that this has the potential to be an amazing story if it has some professional editing.
-Amy
Hanna Anders
Favorite Author: Ruth Ware
Currently Reading: The Turn of the Key
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanna-anders.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold
Reading Device: B07WQ1VH72
fav_author_id: 25157

Post by Hanna Anders »

This book was the perfect mixture of romance and thriller. I truly enjoyed reading this book and didn't want to put it down. Gold's writing style was impeccable. The descriptive language really captivated me along with all the characters. I love Zia and Bryce together. I get a real prince charming vibe from Bryce. This book definitely deserved book of the month and being kind of new here I am going to check those out more often. I can't wait to read the second book just to see where Gold takes it, even though this could be a stand-alone book.
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

Post by Shannon Ruane »

asteel18 wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 09:45 I might be in the minority of people who did not care for this book. I rated in 2 out of 4 stars. Occasionally, I found some interesting dialogue and hoped I would change my mind but that did not happen. The characters were shallow and even though I love escaping into a story that would not normally happen in my own life, the storyline was a bit crazy. I can see that this has the potential to be an amazing story if it has some professional editing.
I agree with you. Although I gave it a 3 out of 4 stars, I seriously considered giving it a 2 out of 4 stars. The writing itself (word choices were erotic without being overly vulgar, some plot parts were interesting) saved it. It was not my personal favorite, but I can see why other people might like the crazy plot they (hopefully) will never experience. The "marrying a millionaire that is actually a kind person" part is probably the only part of the book most people would want to experience in "real life."

If I had to base my review on only the plot of the book it would have received a lower rating from me. Someone needed to explain (honestly) the good VS bad points before allowing the author to publish the story. Seeking feedback prior to publishing would likely have resulted in a well-thought-out balance or the author changing her story to be primarily romance rather than implying it was a romance/crime novel.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I read the official review of this book and I was interested so I acquired it and i have just finished reading the same. The romance genre is not usually my preferred kind of book and this one is no different. The storyline is not as interesting as promised. The only this that kept up my curiosity is the suspense about the murder. I like how the author brings out the personality of Zia though. She almost comes alive.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Raquel Sojo

Post by Raquel Sojo »

asteel18 wrote: 16 Aug 2021, 09:45 I might be in the minority of people who did not care for this book. I rated in 2 out of 4 stars. Occasionally, I found some interesting dialogue and hoped I would change my mind but that did not happen. The characters were shallow and even though I love escaping into a story that would not normally happen in my own life, the storyline was a bit crazy. I can see that this has the potential to be an amazing story if it has some professional editing.
I love your honesty, and yes, I felt the same with the storyline and the narration which was very fast, to me, it seems like a fresh suspense story and different from the typical one where you probably predict the facts
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I really can not understand why this book is receiving so much praise. The lead character is selfish and stupid, the plot has such glaring plot holes, the book doesn't get interesting like half of it and has so much going on that nothing is delved in properly.
Sara Barnes Cottingham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-barnes-cottingham.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Sara Barnes Cottingham »

I thought the book was well edited. There were a few moments where I felt the pacing was either too fast or too slow, but overall the structure of the book was well thought out. Some of the "twists" in the book felt slightly overused, but I can't fault the author too much as many authors also fall victim to those tropes.

This book would certainly appeal to readers of romance and suspense. Gold does a commendable job of navigating both genres without making one feel more important than the other.

I enjoy romance, but it was a tad heavy on the erotica for me, but that's not to say that other readers won't find it right up their alley. Still, it was a good read, and I can see why it was selected as book of the month.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”