What are your opinions on this quote?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

What are your opinions on this quote?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Epigraph 1 of the book says,
Flesh demands sacrifice for its existence.
(Location 43 Kindle version)

I see this as a reference to various sacrifices you have to offer when you choose to go after forbidden flesh. What is the relevance of this quote to Zia's story? Did she have to make a sacrifice or was she, her body and soul, was the sacrifice in fulfilling her desires?
Brandy_Nyongesa
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-nyongesa.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Brandy_Nyongesa »

I believe the word flesh has been used to mean body desires. In Zia's context, she goes through a lot of risks just to fulfil her desires. She even takes a risk of being a love triangle just to attain sex. For one to satisfy the flesh, one has to get out of their comfort zone.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:12 I believe the word flesh has been used to mean body desires. In Zia's context, she goes through a lot of risks just to fulfil her desires. She even takes a risk of being a love triangle just to attain sex. For one to satisfy the flesh, one has to get out of their comfort zone.
I agree. Everyone deserves to be fulfilled all around. I think taking some risks isn't a bad thing. There are risks which may be considered too far to obtain satisfaction and desires. There are times when sacrifices need to be made, but it is an individual's choice on what those are.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I think that the writer was trying to say that for everything you do there is a repercussion. Which should always consider if the risk is worth it. For instance, eating junk or a healthy meal. A healthy meal despite not being too sweet is good for you but junk ain't good, so you rather take a healthy meal, that's a sacrifice to keep your body in check
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:12 For one to satisfy the flesh, one has to get out of their comfort zone.
This is a SUPER accurate statement in more ways than this book can point out. This can even be said about money, jobs, and other things in life. I have to agree with you about your interpretation of flesh; I do believe that it is referring to the body. More specifically, I see it as sexual desires outside of true love and intimacy.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

Though I'm sure it refers to the sacrifices Zia had to make to satisfy her sexual desires, I also wonder if the quote was picked because it matches the killer's motivation. For flesh (humans) to exist "properly" the women could be considered the sacrifice (the error god made). I don't know if that interpretation was also considered by the author or not, but it certainly lends a creepier feeling to the opening quote.
Chimuka Muungo
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimuka-muungo.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Chimuka Muungo »

In Zias context i think it refers to the fact that she gives into her body's sexual desires which leaves her with a hefty price to pay for getting caught up in a few moments of ppassion with the wrong person.
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

I think the author is right in the sense that a person has to make various sacrifices to please the flesh. These sacrifices could be going to the gym, restricting yourself to a kind of food everyday and so on. In Zia's case, she had to make sacrifices to fulfill her sexual desires. These sacrifices always come with effects.
videtro
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by videtro »

I think the word flesh means the physical body. Since we have free will, you are able to make a choice. I think that Zia could have made different choices other than the ones she made just to fulfill her sexual desires.
videtro
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by videtro »

I think the word flesh means the physical body. Since we have free will, you are able to make a choice. I think that Zia could have made different choices other than the ones she made just to fulfill her sexual desires.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

Of course. Things of the flesh has always been demanding of sacrifices, at times greater than one can carry. Zia choose to sacrifice herself and her body to please her flesh.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:12 I believe the word flesh has been used to mean body desires. In Zia's context, she goes through a lot of risks just to fulfil her desires. She even takes a risk of being a love triangle just to attain sex. For one to satisfy the flesh, one has to get out of their comfort zone.
I agree. Zia had her sexual desires and to fulfill them she had to get involved into the love triangle, which is quite a risk. Though she could satisfy her needs, she had to sacrifice her comfort to that. So, yes, indeed flesh has its demands.
CoolReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coolreads.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by CoolReads »

In her professional life, Zia is portrayed as an ambitious and hardworking person. She put her career at risk when she violated the client-agent relationship with Baxter. She also risked her relationship with Bryce for sexual gratification with another person. So the quote describes what Zia was willing to risk or sacrifice in order to satisfy her needs and desire.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I believe the flesh represents our body with insatiable needs, and the sacrifices are obstacles in form of risks which we take to fulfil our insatiable needs or wants. Just as Zia has a lot need and would not mind taking a risk or stepping out of her comfort zone.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

I think 'flesh' refers to lust and for one to satisfy lust, some risk or sacrifice is required. Zia's sexual desires were satisfied while risking her relationship with Bryce.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”