Never confuse lust for anything other than what it is, do you agree?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Precious Lynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-lynn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: Never confuse lust for anything other than what it is, do you agree?

Post by Precious Lynn »

I do think that lust is lust. It's a very intoxicating and thrilling emotion. In the book, the author uses lust as a tool for plot and character development. However, I do not think that the toxic side of lust featured in the book is the only version of lust that exist in real life. Lust is lust, it can be both positive and negative. it all depends on the person experiencing it. For Zia and other characters, lust was a toxic emotion that blinded them.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I disagree because feelings are difficult to completely separate. You can fall in love with someone after initial feelings of lust. You can fall in love with your best friend and eventually lust after them. At some point though, you should be able to know if what you feel is only lust. I believe that is what the author is trying to convey, but that is why absolutes are tricky.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I completely agree with the author. Lust is not more than what it is. It's never really after the overall interest of the people involved. It's just a momentary satisfaction and nothing more. In the book, it's evident that lust is a selfish feeling that cares about just the satisfaction of hormones. In real life, same applies.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

In regards to the plot of this book, I can say the author git that saying right. However, when we speak of things in the real world, white is of different shades. And while lust can indeed be just lust in real life, sometimes it's not that simple. Sometimes it grows and becomes something else. Most things in real life don't have a single definition.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

No matter how we look at it, lust rarely exists alone. It always has some kind of affection attached to it. This was the case with Zia. She fulfills her lust in one relationship but she needed love too. This made her stay in the other relationship as well.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I agree with the author on this one. Lust is just lust, nothing else. Lust is just some hormones forcing you to indulge in some kind of sexual activity. There is no care about someone else's well being. The biggest and the most important thing in lust is to satisfy yourself, just like we see the psychopath satisfying his urges in the novel.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Lust is lust and love is love. They are different emotions but sometimes they can be interconnected as I see. But lust is driving the plot very intensely.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

El_limitless wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 23:59 I completely agree with the author. Lust is not more than what it is. It's never really after the overall interest of the people involved. It's just a momentary satisfaction and nothing more. In the book, it's evident that lust is a selfish feeling that cares about just the satisfaction of hormones. In real life, same applies.
I agree with you. Both in the book and in real life, lust is simply what it is. It's driven by hormones and the aim is pure satisfaction, and nothing more.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

Lust is when you are overwhelmed with sexual and physical attraction in person whereas love is involves emotions and you may wish your relationship to last longer. So the is a big difference. I think Zia had lust because Bryce was doing everything for her but just that the relationship lacked intimacy of which she craves for.
Harshi4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshi4.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Harshi4 »

I agree with the author on that quote, but I also believe that lust is not always just lust. Sometimes, lust can turn into something beautiful like love, just as it could turn everything into dust. In the case of Zia, her lust for a sexual relationship turned everything into dust.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

Every human at some point experiences lust but in this case Zia's lust went a bit overboard. I will completely agree with the writer on this, she went too far. It's not just lust, I could see obsession too in her eyes.
Smriti Sawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smriti-sawal.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein

Post by Smriti Sawal »

In the context of the book, lust is just lust and nothing else. It's a physical desire for a person and if we go by the story depicted in the book, it does not mean love or infatuation. On the other hand, in real life, lust can go hand in hand with love and emotional connection. Maybe not the case always, but there are cases where people are in love, and lust for each other is a way to show that love. So, in my opinion, lust is a relative concept, which changes meaning under different scenarios.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

When emotions are just emotions, something is not right and when logic is just logic, something is also not right. If you love or lust for someone without a logical perspective, you are in for a terrible experience. Additionally, if it is a calculated move to involve yourself in a relationship, the probability of having the same outcome is high. The author has a point.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

The concept of lust can be interpreted in a variety of ways. But, in my opinion, lust has an adverse influence not only on a person's physical health but also on their social and mental well-being. Almost all of the book's harrowing action sequences and episodes are the result of lust driving the characters. Lust is more than just lust because it has a massive effect on everybody. However, I can say that it is a natural pleasure that can’t be overlooked because everyone feels it. It just depends on the person in terms of handling specific situations imparted by lust.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

The concept of lust can be interpreted in a variety of ways. But, in my opinion, lust has an adverse influence not only on a person's physical health but also on their social and mental well-being. Almost all of the book's harrowing action sequences and episodes are the result of lust driving the characters. Lust is more than just lust because it has a massive effect on everybody. However, I can say that it is a natural pleasure that can’t be overlooked because everyone feels it. It just depends on the person in terms of handling specific situations imparted by lust.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”