Sex and time are non-refundable, aren't they?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Sex and time are non-refundable, aren't they?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

lumenchristi wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 14:31 Time and sex are not refundable. Any time wasted cannot be regained. Same as sex. In the case of this book, Zia's case is a typical illustration of the quote. The time Zia spent on Bryce cannot be refunded and same as the sex they had. A lesson I learnt from the book.
Time cannot be regained when wasted, and there is no argument in that. But how sex can be wasted? If you just give your body to someone else but you have no pleasure in that, that can be named such. But Zia went to Baxter willingly and she enjoyed what he gave her. I would not say her sex was wasted, but yes, her time was wasted. What she did not regain was the respect that she got from Bryce though he decided to forgive her and love her once again.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

akshi porwal wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 04:38 I think the author has shown lust and sex in a really dark tone . The author while describing any sexual scene makes it sound wrong and unethical. Sex is a part of life and should be treated as such . The author tries to show that lust is the origin of all evil and anyone who fails prey to it will die.
Lust is not a bad thing. But one can do bad things and make wrong choices when driven solely by lust, and I think that was what the author was trying to show. Zia being lustful towards Bryce was not a wrong thing, but going to Baxter to fulfill her lust was wrong and unethical. And the victims of the killer too were driven by lust, and many of them did a wrong thing by choosing to go to the killer to satisfy their needs, and ultimately paid with their lives. I do not think the author wanted to show lust alone as a bad thing. What matters is human actions despite of the motive.
Sushan Ekanayake

Nonny2208 wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 21:47 Indeed, they're both non refundable. Time is fluid, and sex is something that can't be undone or substituted with something that's equal to it. This is portrayed with the victims in the book.
I have no arguments against what you said about time. No matter how you try you cannot gain it back.

Yes, sex cannot be undone or substituted. But what is meant by it being non-refundable? A woman can be silent unless she get pregnant or get a STD, and a man can be silent unless he became a father or had a STD. All the victims of the book loss precious time as their lives were ended. But if they were alive, will there sexual encounters hinder their life progress? We see how Zia could return to her normal life after the relationship with Baxter. Maybe sex is not non-refundable.
Namuddu Erin
Favorite Author: Pen Patience lovely
Favorite Book: God’s Victorious Army
Currently Reading: Cracker Jacked
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 224334

Post by Namuddu Erin »

I believe time and sex are non refundable. In the content, the author explained how Zia saved her life, she was forgiven by her lover and went back to Bryce. Her time was wasted and could not be undone.
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

Post by Shannon Ruane »

malik khaizran wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 13:25 And isn't it the same with sex. once you realize that the person you are investing your emotions is not worthy, you would just wish that you never had met that person and never had any relation with him/her? either physically or emotionally. It was the same for Zia when she thought that she invested herself in the wrong person, so yes I think sex and time both are nonrefundable.
I agree. People who are ending a long-term relationship (whether in a divorce or just breaking up after steady dating) would also likely feel a sense of regret for investing their minds and bodies into the wrong people when ending a relationship. What you said deeply resonates with me because I feel the same opinions as you.

The book is stated to take place over the course of a year. Zia did put too much of her focus on the wrong man. (I assume the "wrong man" was Bax. I hope that is what readers feel). I'm glad Bryce forgives her and if he ever finds out what she had to do to get evidence to end Bax's crime spree he will forgive her because of the circumstances. She needs to buy new computers and/or laptops and put her present technology in Jazz's wood chipper. She has money to do so.

At least she figured the problem out and the solution before she spent decades with Bax (or murdered). The memories are there but with time will pass to help her forget.
Sushan Ekanayake

Akshobhya B wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 09:38 Yes, time and sex are non-refundable. Time is unidirectional and we can't have it back. Similarly, once you have had sex with someone you can't undo it. Zia can't change the fact that she slept with Baxter. She can't "refund" her sexual relation with Baxter and pretend that it never happened.
I agree. It is true that she came back to Bryce and he forgave her. But what happened is already happened. Neither Zia nor Bryce can say no. They can try to forget that, but I am doubtful whether they can totally forget that as it never happened. And we are yet to see its impact on their lives and their relationship. I think the sequel will answer whether sex is refundable or not.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

I think what Zia meant by time and sex are not refundable was, when there is an intercourse, there is exchange of emotions, of bodily fluids, exposure to a persona the partners haven't seen probably before sex. This can't be revoked. So, she was right.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I would try to look at it from the positive side, think about the good experiences as well and what i have gained from it. This goes for a "normal" relationship in which the person didn't turn out to be a psychopath, and a serial killer. In Zia s case, i would probably consider it non-refundable. And time is definitely non-refundable, although i didn't really notice that aspect in the book, it was quite fast paced and we couldn't see a considerable waste of time.
Sushan Ekanayake

Namuddu Erin wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 05:25 I believe time and sex are non refundable. In the content, the author explained how Zia saved her life, she was forgiven by her lover and went back to Bryce. Her time was wasted and could not be undone.
Zia was lucky enough. Though she cannot undone what she did, she could live for another day to go back to Bryce. Yet she was sexually used by then.

The girls who were killed proved this quote very well. Since they paid with their lives they had no chance to undo anything. So both their time as well as sex were given to the killer forever.
Sushan Ekanayake

Shannon Ruane wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 06:58
malik khaizran wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 13:25 And isn't it the same with sex. once you realize that the person you are investing your emotions is not worthy, you would just wish that you never had met that person and never had any relation with him/her? either physically or emotionally. It was the same for Zia when she thought that she invested herself in the wrong person, so yes I think sex and time both are nonrefundable.
I agree. People who are ending a long-term relationship (whether in a divorce or just breaking up after steady dating) would also likely feel a sense of regret for investing their minds and bodies into the wrong people when ending a relationship. What you said deeply resonates with me because I feel the same opinions as you.

The book is stated to take place over the course of a year. Zia did put too much of her focus on the wrong man. (I assume the "wrong man" was Bax. I hope that is what readers feel). I'm glad Bryce forgives her and if he ever finds out what she had to do to get evidence to end Bax's crime spree he will forgive her because of the circumstances. She needs to buy new computers and/or laptops and put her present technology in Jazz's wood chipper. She has money to do so.

At least she figured the problem out and the solution before she spent decades with Bax (or murdered). The memories are there but with time will pass to help her forget.
It is true that Zia played a big role in ending Baxter's crime spree. But she was the one who initially fell into his charms forgetting that she already had Bryce. No reason or the circumstances can make that act innocent. She was unfaithful at the moment. So Bryce had all the rights to choose whether to forgive her or not, and he chose to forgive her. Yet, I don't think either of them will be able to fully forget what happened, and I am pretty sure the sequel will tell us the long term effects of Zia's investment of time and sex in Baxter, and time will say whether they are refundable or not.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

It is true that that time as well as sex is non refundable.when zia found out about the reality of the psycopath she understood that what she has invested has been wasted aslnd isn't coming back
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I agree with time being non-refundable but sex? Oh, no! In real life, we form connections with people we love, even if we later don’t love them, we appreciate the moments we shared. That’s my take on it. So sex being non refundable doesn’t make much sense to me.

But in this book though, we saw young girls getting murdered and Zia and her cheating too, this quote summaries this story well. So yeah, this quote goes great with the storyline of the book.
Sushan Ekanayake

Oye Timothy wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 00:40 I think what Zia meant by time and sex are not refundable was, when there is an intercourse, there is exchange of emotions, of bodily fluids, exposure to a persona the partners haven't seen probably before sex. This can't be revoked. So, she was right.
I can agree with that. Maybe Zia wanted to see Bryce's whole self and she believed the way for that was sex. And when she was denied of that she felt frustrated. Baxter gave her what she needed and she saw his persona but not the real character as she was blinded by lust. Yes, those valuable moments cannot be revoked in another time, so is the time that she lost in her life by playing with the devil.
Sushan Ekanayake

DTamara wrote: 28 Aug 2021, 06:45 I would try to look at it from the positive side, think about the good experiences as well and what i have gained from it. This goes for a "normal" relationship in which the person didn't turn out to be a psychopath, and a serial killer. In Zia s case, i would probably consider it non-refundable. And time is definitely non-refundable, although i didn't really notice that aspect in the book, it was quite fast paced and we couldn't see a considerable waste of time.
The book per se was fast paced and it did not waste the time of the reader. But there were several girls in the book who lost their lives in the hands of the killer, proving the time that they invested on the killer was totally non-refundable. And Zia lost a lot because of her sexual desires, and also she may never revoke the happiness that she got from the passionate relationship with Baxter, given that Bryce is not much of a passionate lover.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Sex and time are definitely non-refundable. We can attest this statement by taking a look at Zia's character. After having a messed up relationship with Bryce, she moved on to Bax. After she realized Bax's true nature, she had the obvious regrets of the things she did to Bryce. But what is once done, is done.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”