Is the story cliched?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Is the story cliched?

Post by Peace Chux »

Many good stories start out clichéd but don't end that way. This is one of them. The author was very creative with this, especially with character depth. So no, although some parts may sound cliché, I don't think the whole story sounded that way.
emeraldlaurice012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeraldlaurice012.html
Latest Review: Poetic Thoughts of a Young Lion in the Asphalt Jungle by Steven Ederson Sr

Post by emeraldlaurice012 »

Yes, i believe some elements present in the book including how they met and other events that transpired are pretty common to the romance genre. Although this may be true, the book still offered a distinct character and plot to readers.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

malik khaizran wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 05:05 Story characters live in the same world we live in and of course, they use elevators, visit the restaurant, watch movies and meet new people in these places. We cannot call it cliché. What matters is that how the writer describes that event and I find that meeting unique.
You make an excellent point. Most books are composed of the same tropes, and the difference relies on how the author manages and mixes those tropes.
I did, however, find Zia to be unrelatable.
_Maduike
Currently Reading: The Ultimate Love
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduike.html
Latest Review: Firstborn Daddyman by Frank Bailey
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by _Maduike »

The novel as a whole is definitely not clichè. Of course it has some cliche content, this is normal for a story like this. Zia's character, her anxiety and the plot in general is definitely not clichè.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I agree with most of the comments here. I don't think the whole story was a cliché but there were definitely parts that felt cliché such as the one you described. I think it would be almost impossible to write a completely original story from cover to cover without a moment that doesn't been done before. I liked that elevator scene because it reminded me of those cliché romcom moments which contrasted so strongly with the rest of how the story unfolded. The author might have done it intentionally.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Some of the scenes are cliched, but I don’t think that the meeting of Zia and Bryce is. Zia’s actions because of her anxiety is well within what should be expected. I think the fact that he pursues her is to be expected. It would happen like this in real life!
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

Post by Shannon Ruane »

Fahad Baibras wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 13:19
Novela book wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 04:15 Some scenes always come as cliche, but it doesn't mean the whole story gets affected. I agree this story has some cliche, how they meet and how she gets interested in the author. But as a whole, this is an amazing story to me.
You are right, all stories from same genre do have some similarities (that's why they are the same genre) and they might sound cliche but it really depends upon the author on how she crafts it to fit the needs of the story.
Hi! I agree some scenes (particularly the love triangle and finding two millionaires) were cliche. This is the first romance novel I have read in my entire life but I am an avid reader in general. Even I could see what was coming from a mile away, about who the killer was and the fact that a love triangle was going to be created. I found the fact that Zia's fiance did not dump her instantly even more shocking than the ending. That is what I assumed would happen. That did go against the "cliche" of how cheating changes a relationship dynamic. Was he too nice with her about it? I think he should have been extremely angry even if he later forgave Zia. His kindness about the affair also goes against the cliche.

Did the author handle the cliches appropriately? I do not think it was the worst writing, but improvements could be made to craft the story better.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Yes, I think this story follows the typical path of normal courtship and it appears that originality was not a very big motivator to the author. Zia's anxiety disorder is also too typical of a young lady's reaction to new feelings and emotions.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

Personally, I don't find the novel to be a cliché. Probably, that particular moment, and perhaps many moments were common. It seems to be more a matter of coherence, in the development of the story, than a simple cliché. Beyond that, I think the author did stay true to Zia having an anxiety disorder. It is simply seeing the way she handled herself and her actions where it is reflected.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Yes the story is very much cliched. Having to choose between two rich guys , one super rich and the other a bad boys who makes her feel things. The author keeps saying guys like this and girls like that, which in itself it a huge generalization and a cliche.
Muskan Upadhyaya
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-upadhyaya.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Muskan Upadhyaya »

As far as I have understand the story, Zia's first encounter with Bryce in the elevator and adding to this, some scenes are cliche but the entire story is not cliche as it has many twists and turns which keep the readers on their toes.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

The overall story didn't feel clicled to me, but this particular scene perhaps was. The thing is there are so many books out there it's inevitable that there will be some clishe moments. Also, not all cliche scenarious are bad, especially when there are very well written.
Akintola Ola
Favorite Book: Mere Christianity
Currently Reading: Chosen But Free
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akintola-ola.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Akintola Ola »

Well the story, like all stories, is cliche but only in a very general sense. After all, it is almost impossible to tell a completely original story. It would always have been told before. The difference is only in the details and the creativity with which the writer tells her version of the story. Admittedly there were some scenes which seemed quite cliche (such as meeting a lover in an elevator) but they still do not subtract from the greatness of the book. And I must add: there were unique elements in the story.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

The story does begin in a cliched way with Bryce going after Zia, her physical makeover and their magical dinner date. But its interesting how the author uses these cliches and then turns them around into suspenseful plot points and drives the story forward.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

In the beginning I did think the story was a cliché. The elevator scene is not a rarity, to be honest. But as the story progressed, it did take a unique turn. The story sounded more authentic. So, I think the story was not that much a cliché as it progressed.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”