Is the story cliched?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Re: Is the story cliched?

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

Personally, I do not think a story is cliched, because it goes around somewhere else that readers would not expect. This is not a Cinderella story for me.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

There are scenes in the story that can be said to be cliched. The story as a whole is not cliched. The author did well in crafting a marvelous book.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Novela book wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 04:15 Some scenes always come as cliche, but it doesn't mean the whole story gets affected. I agree this story has some cliche, how they meet and how she gets interested in the author. But as a whole, this is an amazing story to me.
I agree with you. Sometimes there are certain scenes or writing resources that have been used to exhaustion, yet it does not mean that authors are cliche because they use them as well. I think that for a story to be cliche it has to be mostly a cookie cutter like piece with a plot that certainly makes readers feel bored.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

It's tough to create an entirely original story. Even in extraordinary situations like in the movie 50 Shades of Gray, you will find clichés. I would say that the book does present events that are common in typical novels, but far from the whole story being cliché.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

This book definitely has its short comings but I do not think cliche is the right description for this book because I did enjoy it regardless of some down sides.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

I do think the author stays true to Zia’s description as one with anxiety disorder as she is quick to avoid Bryce in the elevator scene. However, I do believe that this is not a unique story since it is still cliched in many respects.
AzmainReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azmainreviews.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by AzmainReviews »

Although this scene felt cliched, it did not particularly affect the story. Overall the story felt unique and the author managed to weave the story amazingly.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

There must be some cliched moments in romance books, but this does not mean that all the story is cliched, but rather an interesting story with many ups and downs and the author was creative in this story
Kerry Limat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerry-limat.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kerry Limat »

The meeting between Zia and her lover is quite cliche. We see that in many Disney movies and love stories today and I am honestly sick and tired of such.

However, the book was not a total cliche. I particularly loved how the color of Zia's skin didn't become a debate to determine the fate of her relationship with Bryce
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

The entire store is a cliche. But there's nothing wrong with that. My suspicion is that the author is totally aware of the chance meetings and other coincidences as well as the character traits that sometimes take this book well beyond the scope of reality. Nevertheless, these cliches are also highly recognizable by the reader and therefore make it easier to identify with the characters, especially Zia. A good author of pulp fiction will use these types of known ingredients to draw the interest of readers and take them along for a fun ride, which this book obviously was.
Gloria Jane
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-edmund.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Gloria Jane »

Although the elevator scene is can be seen that way, it is realistic to include such scenes as people meeting each other in an elevator is also quite common in the real world, so I wouldn't consider it cliché. However, the part where he continues to pursue her despite her avoiding him is, in my opinion, is a cliché theme in too many romance books. Overall, I do not feel that the story was overly cliché as there were other unique and interesting parts that balances it out well :)
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think that this particular scene is in fact cliched. All of the elevator scenes had been used an uncountable amount of times, and the fact that the author consciously used it when she knew that it's mainstream just proves it.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

Zia and Bryce's meeting was, well, cliched but there are few romance meetings that can extract itself from the cliche league. But their meeting didn't mean that the whole book was cliched. Actually, Chameleon felt fresh to me as a reader.
And yes, Zia stayed true to her anxiety disorder, although there were times I felt she should have reacted strongly.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I wouldn't say that the story was cliche because Zia was meeting with Bryce was a bit unusual meeting you can see in any other book. But I would say that Zia had an anxiety disorder as a cliche part of this book.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

In one way or the other every story has been told. However, it is how the story is told that makes the difference.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”