Female empowerment or the opposite?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Female empowerment or the opposite?

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I didn’t like the way women were portrayed in this book. It’s not too bad but it has a kind of vibe that paints women in a certain light that I believe is only perceived by the author.
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

The book supports feminism in my view. The female characters were potrayed as strong and independent. However, I feel the story had some sexist undertone.
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

The book advocates feminism in my view. A lot of the female characters were potrayed as strong and independent. However, it has some sexist undertone which I don't think was intentionally included by the author.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think this book tried so hard to include women in the narrative that it didn't focus too much on representing them well. Many stereotypes are furthered and every woman was sexualised at least a little. I didn't quite enjoy that.
Gloria Jane
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-edmund.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Gloria Jane »

I feel that the author intended to portray a sense of empowerment. The high heels and strong personality are stereotypical traits of what society sees as strong, career-orientated women, but from my experience, many women do also embody these traits, so it is not written in an unrealistic way. I do agree that certain parts do come across as misogynic, especially with how the female character's attires were often described in a caricature style.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the author didn't try to make this book sexist because I think the author just try to make Zia become a strong woman. For instance, Zia will do anything she could to make Bryce fall in love with her.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

I don’t believe that the author intends for the book to be sexist. I think they are trying to portray Zia as a strong female. The way it comes across to me is that she is trying anything and everything she can to make the male characters like her.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”