Female empowerment or the opposite?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
cluetop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluetop.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

Female empowerment or the opposite?

Post by cluetop »

The book tackles important themes surrounding feminism with Zia recounting her experiences with predatory, misogynistic men and Bryce adopting a role rooted in him trying to exercise respect around Zia. There are also many references to sexism and sadism through the eyes of our killer. However, there are also some potentially sexist tropes in the books depending on how you look at it (five inch heels to work, ambitious women acting aggressively, etc.)

While the book seems to be intentioned at taking a progressive stance on sexism in the modern world, do you think it succeeds in its mission?
Karlee Berrios
Currently Reading: House of Earth and Blood
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlee-berrios.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

Post by Karlee Berrios »

I actually felt like the book had misogynistic undertones throughout. Every single woman was talked about with sexual undertones. Even the future MIL, “Her smooth golden thighs wink from underneath her dusty rose tennis skirt, complete with a white spaghetti-strap shirt”. And Makayla is portrayed as a caricature of a person, as if being successful and still being a good person wasn’t possible for women. To me, this book felt written by someone who sees women as one-dimensional and doesn’t have a very high opinion of them.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t believe that the author intends for the book to be sexist. I think they are trying to portray Zia as a strong female. The way it comes across to me is that she is trying anything and everything she can to make the male characters like her.
Sarrikoziol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarrikoziol.html
Latest Review: House of Cuts by June Gillam

Post by Sarrikoziol »

A lot of ambitious women are more aggressive. If you have ever watched some of the feminist documentaries, some of those women were down right vicious. I think it depends on the entirety of the situation. Wearing five inch heels to work doesn't go against feminism. I do agree there were a lot of areas where the male misogyny can be seen. The descriptions of the women in general. But talking about what a women is wearing isn't going against feminism.
Misguided angel means bad with good intentions
Swollen Members
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

According to me, for being a strong and bold woman, one needs to be a little aggressive . Dealing with a situation in front of oneself can call for entirely different sides of us. Its all about the circumstances. Every women is different. Putting them in a single category and comparing them is not fair. I don't think anything in the book is against feminism.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I think the author intended to portray some female characters as strong, ambitious and formidable however, this did not seem to have been achieved as the book could be said to very minor sexist views or a sexist undertone. The description of female characters erroneously left them objectified instead of focusing on the content of their behaviours and characters.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

It's more of empowerment to me. Zia is portrayed as brave and unashamed of who she is and what she wants, even if it is sex.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I think Zia was portrayed just fine by the author, aggressive isn't sexist when used to describe a woman as strong as Zia. I think that in this instance, it was more of being real than being sexist.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Aggression doesn't mean one is going against feminism. I have mixed feelings about the book. Though there are misogynistic undertones, females are portrayed as strong individuals who can go to any lengths to get what they want. These are just some traits of strong women and nothing that should be considered sexist.
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

I do not feel that the book was against feminism, I would agree that some descriptions in the book sounded misogynistic, Zia is portrayed as a strong woman who goes for what she wants.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I don't think it was intentional to be honest. But I did find a lot of misogynistic scenes. In my opinion, it might be because of deeply rooted clichés of how a strong, independent woman is supposed to be. Allow me to elaborate. To me, it sounds like if the author tried to portray Zia like that, because the character was built over a stereotypical foundation, which resulted into misogynistic undertones on her description and scenes.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

I don't think this book is against feminism. I think it's just showing the power of women nowadays, not like the old days where women can't even wear pants like men.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

For me, talking about a woman wearing 5 inch heels or any number of inches for that matter, it doesn't indicate anything going against the fundamentals of feminism. As much as I could understand, the book intended, through the character of Zia, to show woman as being bold, strong headed and vocal about their wants and needs, doesn't matter what those wants and needs are. The book did succeed in showcasing a strong woman. As far as sexism is concerned, it is definitely there, particularly in the descriptions given about different female characters.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Karlee Berrios wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:50 I actually felt like the book had misogynistic undertones throughout. Every single woman was talked about with sexual undertones. Even the future MIL, “Her smooth golden thighs wink from underneath her dusty rose tennis skirt, complete with a white spaghetti-strap shirt”. And Makayla is portrayed as a caricature of a person, as if being successful and still being a good person wasn’t possible for women. To me, this book felt written by someone who sees women as one-dimensional and doesn’t have a very high opinion of them.
I couldn't have said this better myself. I completely agree that, while the author may have been trying to promote strong female characters, it seemed to get lost in the translation with these descriptions of the various females in the book. I kept wondering why the male characters weren't described in the same fashion.
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

I got mixed signals from the author throughout the book. So much that I wanted to find out if the author was a black woman, like I had originally thought. There are sections that really jump out as real personal experiences from the point of view of a black woman, so I think the author attempted, at least, to write a story where a female character grows from being an insecure person to a sexually confident one. I think the lack of clarity of purpose comes from the story time-skipping right when Zia's confidence begin to develop; this is when she goes out with Bryce. This causes her newfound sexual independence to come across as shallow. Instead of seeing her grow and begin to want Bryce to desire her, it just seems like she immediately cheated on him.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”