Female empowerment or the opposite?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Re: Female empowerment or the opposite?

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I honestly do not think that the book targeted feminism or sexism. Rather, female characters in the book were portrayed by the author as being strong and have the willpower and determination to achieve their goals and ambition.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

I see female empowerment in Zia, around her work life where she shows herself capable of acting boldly, and in her sex life where she also demonstrates a lot of self-confidence. It's in these two aspects of her life that she is most confident and determined.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I wouldn't think the author intention was to promote female empowerment through Zia. She is more of a liberal character than she is feminist. On misogyny, there are numerous instances of this here. I think the author was trying to relate to the current state of affairs. The workplace today is an extremely misogynistic environment.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

The things I noticed thoughout the book was the objectification of all female chatacters, while the male characters weren't. It's like the saying "Don't preach what you don't pratice". Yes, the author tried to portray strong women, but they were stereotypical and didn't really empower me.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

I don't think the book had sexist undertones at all. The novel had a relatable female protagonist. Zia isn't a perfect human being and has her own defaults. The language of the story may seem to objectify the characters but its an erotica and its supposed to be like this.
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

The five-inch heels and aggression do not really bother me into thinking this book did not promote feminism since the definition of strength can be different for every woman. There were some sexist undertones but I can't say for sure whether they were intentional or not.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

Like what most did say. I didn't think the author was trying to portray Zia as been feminist. She has to be bold, outspoken and aggressive for her to keep successful at work.
the_bibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bibliofile.html
Latest Review: Fouling in Business and College Athletics by Gonzalo Fernandez

Post by the_bibliofile »

Akin to most people's opinions, it had subtle undertones but wasn't intentionally sexist. I think it just happened while she tried to describe certain situations. Sometimes, it doesn't seem sexist until you really start to evaluate it from that perspective so it might have not occurred to the author that certain instances seem a little sexist
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

Describing a woman as aggressive is not sexist if it is meant to elevate her character. I think the author does the female characters justice by expressing their strong, sexy nature in a positive and contextual way. Strong, sexy, and aggressive traits in a woman can be empowering when presented positively.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

The authors writing at some point was biased. She wrote as if she she had a things against men. Nevertheless, I think that she portrayed Zia as a strong female character. For a woman to stand her ground, she has to be a bit aggressive, and Zia replicated a strong woman.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I actually think this book seems to conform to sexist ideas. You notice that successful women behave just as any man in the same position would behave. However, they are then labeled as aggressive which is definitely meant in a negative way.
Namuddu Erin
Favorite Author: Pen Patience lovely
Favorite Book: God’s Victorious Army
Currently Reading: Cracker Jacked
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 224334

Post by Namuddu Erin »

The author tried to portray women's characters. There is misogynistic scenes in the illustration. Zia is portrayed as a strong young lady, she can struggle and satisfy her needs.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

It succeeds for me in several ways. For one, it gives us a strong female protagonist, which is always nice. Not only this, but she’s shown to make mistakes, own up to them, and move past them, which humanizes the character and helps her seem more realistic as opposed to a feminine trope. While some stereotypes may persist with Zia, overall, I feel like her portrayal is more empowering than not, especially when compared to female characterizations of other books.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

In my experience, strong women who enjoy dressing up - wearing heels and make-up, tend to be categorized as promiscuous or tramp or slut as opposed to bold and empowered. The fact that Zia likes to sleep around but is in control of her actual life/work life is very typical of the modern women. Powerful at work and in life, with a health sexual desire and confidence in her personal life. I think the author was trying to convey a balance.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I believe Zia was portrayed just fine. Regardless of the sexiest views contained in the book, Zia being an ambitious, strong, independent, unashamed woman will definitely rob off on female readers who before now weren't very confident in their sexuality. So yes, it's female empowerment for me.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”