Female empowerment or the opposite?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Female empowerment or the opposite?

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

Zia was portrayed as a strong and intelligent woman who knows what she wants. She makes her own way on expressing herself, not being afraid of what others might say. I cannot say that she is not sexualized because of her desires but all in all, it's not against feminism. At least that's what I think.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

Karlee Berrios wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:50 I actually felt like the book had misogynistic undertones throughout. Every single woman was talked about with sexual undertones. Even the future MIL, “Her smooth golden thighs wink from underneath her dusty rose tennis skirt, complete with a white spaghetti-strap shirt”. And Makayla is portrayed as a caricature of a person, as if being successful and still being a good person wasn’t possible for women. To me, this book felt written by someone who sees women as one-dimensional and doesn’t have a very high opinion of them.
I agree that misogynistic undertones were present in the book. Unfortunately, such things happen way too often. I also thought that the author was objectifying women and seeing women as one-dimensional.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I don't think the book was sexist. Zia's character was portrayed as sweet and innocent, yet bold and passionate. I couldn't cite any instances where the author purposefully puts down Zia, or women in general.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

This book is filled with mixed signals. One doesn't need to be sexually objectified or aggressive to be a feminist. As this book deals with sexual confidence the author's intention became foggy. For example, female characters' body descriptions. Some descriptions were downright misogynistic. I would say the intention to deliver a strong female character was there, but the execution could have been more nuanced.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

What I read from the author's description is that Zia is both strong and aggressive and successful at her job, but she's also insecure, has appealing bodily features, is sexually appealing, has a great libido and also wants to be accepted by men. While the first part definitely sounds like she's a strong and brave woman, the second part gives it away. To me it seems like, seriously? Can a woman be all of these things at the same time? What is the possibility.? I would say the description of Zia as something a modern male would describe as feminism.

From what I have experienced, I would say accepting me as myself with all my flaws and imperfections and taking responsibility for it without being a martyr is what feminism truly is. Which Zia's character obviously isn't. Again, I don't even want to start with the other female characters. So, I think it's quite the opposite of female empowerment.
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

Zia to me is the type that just wants to live her life not caring about what anyone has to say about her. Her crave for sex is out of hand, yes, but if a man did the same thing as she did they won't likely judge him that much. Someone's clothing doesn't determine their personality.. it is the inside that matters the most. Someone can also have an innocent face and still be rotten to the core so I don't think that's what the writer intended.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

The sexism is there, especially in the description given about the other female characters. But I think it was necessary to feature Zia as a bold female character. She is strong and independent and her portrayal feels more empowering than the others.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

To portray successful women as aggressive. You know, painting this picture that career women will always be angry is cruel. I do believe that this book has sexist undertones.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Zia is a strong woman in this book. I don’t see this book to be against feminism. However my thought is that the author shows the characters power and confidence NOW —-as these qualities are such that woman did not show long ago
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

You can not call it feminism and at the same time it's not sexist also i think the character of zia needed to be described that way to describe the situation better. And it was necessary for the character development of zia.
:tiphat:
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Karlee Berrios wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:50 I actually felt like the book had misogynistic undertones throughout. Every single woman was talked about with sexual undertones. Even the future MIL, “Her smooth golden thighs wink from underneath her dusty rose tennis skirt, complete with a white spaghetti-strap shirt”. And Makayla is portrayed as a caricature of a person, as if being successful and still being a good person wasn’t possible for women. To me, this book felt written by someone who sees women as one-dimensional and doesn’t have a very high opinion of them.
I never thought of it like this. But looking back now I don't even know how I didn't notice the misogynistic atmosphere. But i can't decide whether it made like the book more or less because while I don't like misogyny, I already liked the book. However it did feel like the author had a negative experience with women that has influenced the way this book was written.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

I think the book ended up being sexist without wanting to be. User Karlee Berrios nailed in her critic. Being aggressive is not a sign of being a strong woman and independent. Aggression, in most cases, is a sign of impotence and unresolved psychological issues.
dennisbragra
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisbragra.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dennisbragra »

For female empowerement to work the conversation needs to be wholesome. It needs to involve the men as well. Make men understand why the role of the woman in the society needs to be broadened
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I for one didn't find the book sexist. I liked the addition of strong female characters because I feel like a lot of novels try to portray most women as weak. Zia came off as bold to me and there is nothing wrong with a bold woman.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

I think the author's aim was to portray strong women, but fell short in some instances. For instance, in the description of women and their being objectified. It took a lot to see the women as anything other than sexual beings.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”