The mind of a killer

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: The mind of a killer

Post by Sanju Lali »

I feel that the author has crafted the serial killers character elegantly by incorporating various personality traits of psychopaths like distorted way thinking and aggressive way of acting. The author has given hints through the excerpts at various locations, but it was hard to guess anything about that serial killer.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

The excerpts were an excellent source of deeper thought for me! Reading the inner mind of someone was fascinating but at the same time disturbing. Examining the thoughts and then comparing the actions on the outside was mind-boggling.When the thoughts of a character is included in a book, it paints a better picture of personality and intention.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The scenes with the assailant were eerie. However, I believe the author did a fantastic job describing the workings of a killer's mind. To Zia, he appeared normal, which makes one wonder how many evil-minded people we interact with on a regular basis without ever realizing it. The human mind is, without a doubt, perplexing.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

The mind of a Killer - How fascinating is the insight into the mind of a killer? How chilling the concerned, pleasant personality that changes instantaneously and without emotion to a mean, cruel abuser? What must it feel like to have no empathy, no pathway to connect emotionally with another person? What must it be like to never satisfy the urge to kill but be driven to it again and again? I think the excerpts were genius in understanding what motivated the killer.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I loved being able to see the story from the killers point of view. I feel like it gave me a chance to understand him better and see why he was the way he was. On the outside he seemed like a normal man to the people who met him. But on the inside he was a serial killer and for a short while I was the only one who knew. Knowing that while it was a secret to everyone else gave me the chance to really enjoy this novel.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I think I may have answered this already , but I wanted to say that when I read a book with excerpts in it about what a character is thinking, it sometimes surprises me…. Knowing what a character is thinking definitely changes my whole outlook on a book!
Oluoma C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-c.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Post by Oluoma C »

No one can actually say for sure what is going on ,on another's mind as evidently seen in this book. Thanks to the author for making it possible for us to have a little knowledge of how the killer's mind works and his motives.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

You know how you watch a movie and you hate the antagonist with a passion? That's actually a sign that the writer and director (or in this case, the author) did a good job of developing that character to the point where it was believable.

That said, I really hated. It's extremely worrying when someone is a one-man horror show, but it's even more terrifying when the bad guy actually believes honestly in his "work." I think he was well developed. I'm not completely sure, though, that hinging his hatred for women on his homosexuality was a good idea, especially given the world we currently live in.

I'll admit I'm not a fan of the LGBT movement, but that doesn't mean that men who are gay hate women. That couldn't be farther from the truth, and if this story wasn't protected by the excuse of fiction, it may have caused a serious backlash—it still might.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

While this author can only point us to the clues we can use to analyze a potential killer, that is a much he can do. Understanding the mind of a murderer is a scientific study that is carried out by forensic experts. Based on our everyday casual interactions with other people, we can only pray and hope that they have good intentions and are not out to harm anyone.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I think it was done very well. It seems pretty accurate and based on reality. If you look at cases of real-life serial murderers, many of the people closest to them had no idea of their depravity.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I am really appreciated that the author adds the excerpts in this book. For instance, I am really caught off the guards at the end the killer looks like a normal person. But what he thinks is something dangerous.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”