The mind of a killer

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
cluetop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluetop.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

The mind of a killer

Post by cluetop »

I appreciated the author’s decision to add excerpts from the book centered solely on the psyche and motive of the killer. I feel like I got a sneak peek into the inner workings of a sociopath’s mind and got a chance to understand how serial killers work. What were your opinions on those excerpts throughout the novel?
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

I did appreciate how the author managed to create a killer that was so unsettling. He's unspeakably inhumane and that really adds to the horror of the moments where he seems so genuine. The only part I wished the author did not have to push so hard is blaming his hatred and murderous tendencies on his sexuality. The cast, on several occasions, are convinced he hated women because he's gay, and the big twist at the end (which is essentially told in the killer's diary) concerning detective Johnathan left me with an incredibly sour taste in my mouth.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

At first, I was not so sure that he was the same person that Zia was seeing other than Bryce. When I got further into the book, I was genuinely shocked! What is even more shocking was that he seemed so normal and sweet to Zia and everyone else; there were no red flags indicating that he was a serial killer. But these excerpts painted a picture outside of the main storyline that helped readers understand just how evil he really was. They also helped explain why the book ended the way it did. Personally, I thought that it was clever and fit well with the book as a whole.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
malik khaizran
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malik-khaizran.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by malik khaizran »

The human mind is a complicated thing. No one can comprehend what is going in another person's mind. We interact with a lot of people, many people get involved emotionally with strangers and got emotionally and physically hurt. The same happened with Zia. the person she was considering nice and sweet, was a murderer. The writer's excerpts from the book about the insight of the killer's psyche and motive were really helpful. These excerpts helps me to understand the killer's character.
Uzoma Kalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzoma-kalu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Uzoma Kalu »

I appreciated the authors thoughtfulness to add the excerpts. This helped me to really understand how deep the evil in his head was. I felt the sharp contrast between the evil him and the one with Zia.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

I appreciate that the author added the excerpts. I was totally shocked at the end of the book. He seems so sweet and normal and doesn't seem like a killer at all. But what's happening inside the head is very scary and unsettling.
eggnog
Currently Reading: The Art of Rhetoric
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by eggnog »

Getting the readers to glimpse at what's going on in the killer's mind and showing the contrast of him when being with Zia was a good choice, although not new. Overall, the book was just not my cup of tea.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

6eyed wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 00:55 I did appreciate how the author managed to create a killer that was so unsettling. He's unspeakably inhumane and that really adds to the horror of the moments where he seems so genuine. The only part I wished the author did not have to push so hard is blaming his hatred and murderous tendencies on his sexuality. The cast, on several occasions, are convinced he hated women because he's gay, and the big twist at the end (which is essentially told in the killer's diary) concerning detective Johnathan left me with an incredibly sour taste in my mouth.
Indeed I agree that all the scenes with the killer were very unsettling. I also thought this perspective was chilling and intriguing at the same time. However, the part about his unrequited love with the detective might not be the only factor for his "master plan" to kill all the subhumans, or women. The masterplan seemed a bit crude to me, but the actual portray of his personality was quite authentic. The author also mentions that he was disappointed before (in the scene where he put the diamond ring out but doesn't bring himself to ask), and the reason he killed his wife. So I think there is some story there, even though, I think that these parts were not clearly resolved or explained, or I missed something, correct me if I am wrong.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

I would say the author did a good job in creating a character to describe how a serial killer thinks and acts. Acting all cool and nice but his inner mind says the opposite. The excerpts in the book even made it easier to understand how a serial killer works and makes the book easy to understand.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

It definitely added depth to the mindset and motive of the killings. I also believe that the author creates this outlet to have one simultaneously judge and compare their thoughts to that of the murderer.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Post by Eunice Geres »

I find it truly fascinating reading about the mindset of a killer. The excerpts added depth and intrigue in the whole novel. It was such a great twist.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I enjoyed the excepts, it shows how you never really know someone and what goes in their head. It also shows that people present different sides of themselves to different people and in different environments. I thought the excepts added a lot of intrigue and depth to the book in a clever and unsettling way.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

Human mind is something too complex to be easily comprehensible. In most of the cases, we do get to see what such sociopaths are doing but not the thoughts behind the same. Just like you, I too appreciate that the author added excerpts that solely talked about the psyche and motives of the killer. Those excerpts were really insightful as far as understanding the workings of serial killers are concerned.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Those excerpts were very interesting (and terrifying). It makes me wonder how many people we interact with on a daily basis who have these thoughts. I've certainly met people who seem a bit "off" but none that would make me think they're capable of something so horrifying.
-Amy
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

We interact with many strangers in our daily lives and some of these people are capable of murder. The terrifying bit is that we can't identify them based on the casual interactions we usually have. Though the excepts by the author are helpful, they can only point to what to look for. The real tragedy is that we don't usually go out looking for potential murderers everyday.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”