Was the love triangle necessary?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Was the love triangle necessary?

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I definitely found Bryce’s character to be a bit unbelievable. Although, I don’t feel it detracted from the story too much. I don’t read my fiction for its realism. Zia has some serious luck, good and bad, that I find it hard to believe any one person could experience. However, it’s a story, not an autobiography.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I think the love triangle was good, but Bryce's character was really poor. He didn't have much personality, and he forgave Zia unbelievably easily. Bryce could have used so much more character development and should have been given more participation in the love triangle.
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

I think the love triangle was necessary even though Bryce character was not fully developed. If Bryce was not mentioned the whole story would have changed to something else.
Fahad Afroz
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fahad-baibras.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Fahad Afroz »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 19:53 It made things interesting, but if your choice is either a guy you find so frustrating that you cheat on him with a guy who makes you feel like you just received a physical exam from The Terminator, you need to keep looking. Neither one of these men is a bargain.
So true. But that makes me think, why is it that Zia always ends up with someone like them. It has to something with her own personality
Christine Onyango 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-onyango-1.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Christine Onyango 1 »

Yes, I agree with you. The author threw him in the mix to further the plot but his character has not been well developed, but maybe that is to show the reader that he is not the catch in the story. But I think that the author should have indulged us more about Bryce in the first half of the book so that we could understand his point of view. We only get to see his reasoning later and, my God he is naïve (or just a romantic). :D
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

To me Bryce isn't fully developed as a character and with Zia in the picture everything just seems like a whole lot of hell to take in. I don't really fancy love triangles apart from the ones I read in novels and watch in movies but in this book it just doesn't look necessary.
Diane Maginot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diane-maginot.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Diane Maginot »

Murderous love triangles are to common in books nowadays. I found this book boring because there was no originality to it. To me it felt like he narrated the story without giving a narrative of the characters.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Sohana Hasan wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 12:58
valeriejane wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 13:58 I did not think Bryce was a believable character. How could he be so in love so quickly and then so ready to forgive. Then a billionaire on top of that. I think the book did not need the love triangle, I found it rather disturbing. what do you think?
In my opinion, a well-formed love triangle is always enjoyable. In this case, however, I would have to agree with you. The love triangle is not written very well, in my opinion, and didn't really give a personality to Bryce.
My thoughts exactly. I also felt like more attention was given to the illicit relationship, and the character of Bryce left much to be desired. So, no, the love triangle wasn't necessary. It would have been better to focus on the development of Zia's relationship with Bryce, in my humble opinion.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

I feel like it was necessary because there cannot be a romance drama without a love triangle. But Bryce Kirk's character should have been developed in a better way and made more realistic.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The love triangle is integral to the storyline in that it serves as a backdrop to Zia's character. In my opinion a necessity. Perhaps Bryce's role needed a bit more filling out though.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

The love triangle really didn't add to the story, and it felt like Bryce was given a big role just for the purpose of having a love triangle. He didn't feel like a strong character overall, so I think making his role smaller and doing away with the love triangle would have made the story compelling. I think love triangles in general are overdone unless they're done really well, and in this case it just wasn't necessary.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Love triangles always make the story more appealing, this is when they are written properly. Bryce's character felt out of context in the story and needed more development.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I feel like authors give a love triangle to a plot just to give it more drama and make it seem not boring. But the thing is, sometimes, love triangles can be the one that will make the book less engaging. I agree with you here. The love triangle, for me, was what made the book less engaging. Bryce could have been a more likeable character.
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

I agree that the love triangle was absolutely unnecessary. Also, the author could have done more with Bryce's character. Enough time wasn't putting into giving him the best outlook.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I agree. Bryce is just unbelievable, and that's part of the issues I had with this book. I feel the author could have made his character more believable. Men of Bryce's calibre in real life have a strong sense of self. They don't behave the way he did, and they can't tolerate the things he tolerated.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”